From: Paul Hartman <paul.hartman+gentoo@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-amd64@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-amd64] Drivers For USB HDD
Date: Mon, 07 May 2012 00:03:09
1 On Sun, May 6, 2012 at 1:29 PM, Frank Peters <frank.peters@×××××××.net> wrote:
2 >
3 > My USB thumb drives can all be successfully recognized with the sg and
4 > usb-storage modules (as shown in the commands above).  Is this all I would
5 > need to mount a Western Digital USB HDD or is there some other module that
6 > needs to be loaded?
7
8 Yes, that should be all you need. Virtually every USB hard drive or
9 USB IDE/SATA adapter work as regular mass storage devices. Nothing
10 special required. Same as a flash drive or generic memory card reader.
11
12 /Some/ USB hard drives are "intelligent", having software
13 pre-installed on them, a "one touch" backup button, weird immutable
14 partitions that show up as CDROM drives, etc. but the overwhelming
15 majority are just a plain USB mass storage device. If you can find one
16 that lacks special features like buttons or anything, it's probably
17 more likely to work without hassle.