From: Paul Hartman <paul.hartman+gentoo@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-amd64@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-amd64] Drivers For USB HDD
Date: Mon, 07 May 2012 00:03:09
On Sun, May 6, 2012 at 1:29 PM, Frank Peters <frank.peters@×××××××.net> wrote:
> > My USB thumb drives can all be successfully recognized with the sg and > usb-storage modules (as shown in the commands above).  Is this all I would > need to mount a Western Digital USB HDD or is there some other module that > needs to be loaded?
Yes, that should be all you need. Virtually every USB hard drive or USB IDE/SATA adapter work as regular mass storage devices. Nothing special required. Same as a flash drive or generic memory card reader. /Some/ USB hard drives are "intelligent", having software pre-installed on them, a "one touch" backup button, weird immutable partitions that show up as CDROM drives, etc. but the overwhelming majority are just a plain USB mass storage device. If you can find one that lacks special features like buttons or anything, it's probably more likely to work without hassle.