From: Isidore Ducasse <ducasse.isidore@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-amd64@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-amd64] GDM hates me
Date: Sun, 13 May 2007 23:39:18
1 I assume you're quite new to gentoo, so I'll be as verbose as I can. Ask for more if you need some.
2
3 I have always experienced troubles with X at startup on fresh installs, whatever distro I use (mainly Debian and Gentoo, and a bit of NetBSD). And if gdm is running at boot, there's no access to the whole boot log on tty1. I know it lies somewhere, but I don't want it printed on screen just for fun.
4
5 For these reasons, I never use gdm by default. To fix your problem, I would disable it the following way:
6
7 - boot with a livecd of any kind.
8 - mount your gentoo root and chroot into it.
9 - "source /etc/profile && env-update"
10 - "rc-update del xdm default"
11 - reboot your system.
12
13 Once you've rebooted, you can try to launch an x session customizing
14 ~/.xinitrc and using "startx" . If that doesn't work you probably have a
15 misconfigured /etc/X11/xorg.conf . You could generate a sample one with
16 "X -configure" . The web page http://gentoo-wiki.com/Xorg is worth a
17 glance in this neverending quest.
18
19 When it does work you can issue a "/etc/init.d/xdm start" .
20 --
21 gentoo-amd64@g.o mailing list