From: jai kumar <jaikumar1004_in@××××××××.in>
To: gentoo-amd64@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-amd64]emerge make my comp slow :(
Date: Mon, 07 Aug 2006 16:15:55
1 "Hemmann, Volker Armin" <volker.armin.hemmann@××××××××××××.de> wrote: On Monday 07 August 2006 16:12, jai kumar wrote:
2 > I have a single 512mb (512x1) ram. I read out that ccache would be a
3 > better idea to enchance the performance. Anbody tried that ? one more
4 > thing, i am unable to find a xorg.conf in "/etc/X11/"...where it is ? I
5 > google about that but didn't help.
6 >
7 > it's weird but true that this time (with new kernel) performance is better
8 > than before and no more emerge problems but sometimes X takes too much cpu
9 > for few secs.
10
11 512 is way to low.
12
13 Get at least 512mb more.
14
15 Really, with 512mb you are hitting swap constantly while compiling. And
16 hitting swap has exactly the symptoms you described.
17
18 Get more ram and the mouse won't hang anymore.
19
20 ccache is a good idea, but it won't help you much. More ram will.
21
22 And please - learn to quote. You'll make it easier for the people to read the
23 mails.
26 gentoo-amd64@g.o mailing list
29 Thank you all very much.
30 Well I will buy a 512mb ram when i'll have enough bucks for doing so =).
31 Quoting:: well i am replying via yahoo mail and it didn't have quoting ( or if it have i don't know how to apply.)
32
33 Again, thank you all for help and support.
34
35 ~jaiks
41 Here’s a new way to find what you're looking for - Yahoo! Answers