From: Duncan <1i5t5.duncan@×××.net>
To: gentoo-amd64@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-amd64] Re: ntpd configuration question
Date: Thu, 23 Mar 2006 18:00:36
Steve Herber posted <Pine.LNX.4.64.0603230836590.17275@×××××.com>,
excerpted below,  on Thu, 23 Mar 2006 08:47:58 -0800:

> When I was re-configuring my ntp system one day I went to the ntp home > page: > > http://www.ntp.org/ > > and found their very cool, Gentoo like, user contributed, ntp server pool: > > http://ntp.isc.org/bin/view/Servers/NTPPoolServers > > You might want to put your server into the public pool.ntp.org time > server pool. This is a great project. > > They also list stratum one and two servers. Please note that you need > to ask permission or register with many of the system owners if you want > to use them.
I believe that must have been where I got my original list, choosing several of the stratum two/three servers to sync against, based on geographic and internet diversity. If you notice, I have both a contact comment and a notify requirement status comment line in my posted suggested format, and yes, I did make use of them when originally setting up. As for running a publicly accessible server, I'm personally just consumer level here, the one machine on a no-servers-allowed residential cable modem connection, but I'd almost certainly run one as a public service if I were a business with a static IP address and permanent internet presence. It's simple enough as a way to give a bit back to the community, and shouldn't be as demanding bandwidth-wise as many public servers would be. (A publicly accessible caching nameserver would be similar, altho somewhat higher bandwidth due to the frequency of access for those not running their own, both of course assuming no deliberate DoSing in which case bandwidth usage would of course be rather higher.) -- Duncan - List replies preferred. No HTML msgs. "Every nonfree program has a lord, a master -- and if you use the program, he is your master." Richard Stallman in http://www.linuxdevcenter.com/pub/a/linux/2004/12/22/rms_interview.html -- gentoo-amd64@g.o mailing list