From: Duncan <1i5t5.duncan@×××.net>
To: gentoo-amd64@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-amd64] Re: ntpd configuration question
Date: Thu, 23 Mar 2006 18:00:36
1 Steve Herber posted <Pine.LNX.4.64.0603230836590.17275@×××××.com>,
2 excerpted below, on Thu, 23 Mar 2006 08:47:58 -0800:
3
4 > When I was re-configuring my ntp system one day I went to the ntp home
5 > page:
6 >
7 > http://www.ntp.org/
8 >
9 > and found their very cool, Gentoo like, user contributed, ntp server pool:
10 >
11 > http://ntp.isc.org/bin/view/Servers/NTPPoolServers
12 >
13 > You might want to put your server into the public pool.ntp.org time
14 > server pool. This is a great project.
15 >
16 > They also list stratum one and two servers. Please note that you need
17 > to ask permission or register with many of the system owners if you want
18 > to use them.
19
20 I believe that must have been where I got my original list, choosing
21 several of the stratum two/three servers to sync against, based on
22 geographic and internet diversity. If you notice, I have both a contact
23 comment and a notify requirement status comment line in my posted
24 suggested format, and yes, I did make use of them when originally setting
25 up.
26
27 As for running a publicly accessible server, I'm personally just consumer
28 level here, the one machine on a no-servers-allowed residential cable
29 modem connection, but I'd almost certainly run one as a public service if
30 I were a business with a static IP address and permanent internet
31 presence. It's simple enough as a way to give a bit back to the
32 community, and shouldn't be as demanding bandwidth-wise as many public
33 servers would be. (A publicly accessible caching nameserver would be
34 similar, altho somewhat higher bandwidth due to the frequency of access
35 for those not running their own, both of course assuming no deliberate
36 DoSing in which case bandwidth usage would of course be rather higher.)
41 and if you use the program, he is your master." Richard Stallman in
42 http://www.linuxdevcenter.com/pub/a/linux/2004/12/22/rms_interview.html
46 gentoo-amd64@g.o mailing list