From: Duncan <1i5t5.duncan@×××.net>
To: gentoo-amd64@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-amd64] Re: Re: arts
Date: Sat, 09 Jul 2005 10:18:08
1 Luigi Pinna posted <200507090437.21664.mailing-gentoo@××××××××××××.com>,
2 excerpted below, on Sat, 09 Jul 2005 04:37:17 +0200:
3
4 > Sorry, I have a question:
5 > can you use arts without problems? If I use arts, it crashs often and
6 > freeze the computer...
7 > Usually I can't login in a session where one or two programs, that they
8 > use arts, must be open (a restored session). If I do that, the computer
9 > freeze immediately. Am I alone?
10 > I recompiled KDE without arts support now, but I have no system sound and
11 > kopete sound...
12
13 ARTS is working just fine, here, arts-3.4.1-r2 compiled with
14 gcc-4.0.1-pre20050607 I think it was. The hardware is the onboard sound
15 on a Tyan s2885 dual Opteron board, AMD-8xxx chipset, meaning the intel8x0
16 ALSA driver.
17
18 Every once in awhile I have issues with it, and have to play with the
19 settings, switching artsd between the ALSA, OSS, and OSS-threaded driver
20 modules. Very occasionally, something in the ARTS config will get
21 corrupted as well, and I'll end up having to delete all the arts temp
22 files (and the dcop temp files) and the like. However, I eventually get
23 it all working again.
24
25 Note that everybody, including all the KDE devs that know anything about
26 it, considers ARTS a huge mess. It has been barely maintained for some
27 time, the code is spaghetti code and difficult for anyone to do anything
28 with, there are quite a few untouched open bugs on it at KDE bugzilla, and
29 the original ARTS authors are no longer with KDE, and nobody else wants to
30 /touch/ it, let alone claim maintainership. Yes, the code /is/ that bad.
31 As well, the entire arts project suffered from overreach from the
32 beginning. They tried to do to much in one thing, instead of taking the
33 traditional Unix approach of a bunch of small apps or modules, each doing
34 only one thing, but doing it WELL, so arts does quite a bit but none of it
35 WELL, and as mentioned, the code base is spaghetti to a point beyond
36 recovery.
37
38 It's really a wonder they got it working on amd64 at all.
39
40 For all these reasons and more, KDE is moving off of arts. However, for
41 compatibility reasons, it will remain with us thru the KDE 3.x series,
42 thus, will be around for the next minor release, KDE 3.5, which will
43 likely be out either late this year or next spring (a specific schedule
44 hasn't been set, yet).
45
46 3.5 is, however, supposed to be the last "tide-over" minor version of KDE
47 before KDE 4.0, which will be released a year to a year and a half from
48 now, so 2H2006. KDE 4.0 will *NOT* have ARTS as a major component any
49 longer. As a partial replacement for the KDE audio framework
50 functionality of ARTS, kdemm will appear. The idea is a common API
51 framework that all KDE (and others, if they wish) programs can call,
52 replacing that functionality within ARTS. On the other end, the
53 driver/device end, it will have a plugin architecture, with "bridge"
54 plugins available to interface between the native platform sound drivers
55 and kdemm. Thus, there'll be an ALSA plugin for modern Linux, an OSS
56 plugin for older Linux kernels and the BSDs, as well as the proprietary
57 OSS drivers, likely an esd plugin to interface with other desktop
58 environments, likely another plugin to interface with the just now
59 formulating freedesktop.org sound project, etc. The sound daemon software
60 audio stream merging aspect of arts, however, will NOT be directly
61 replaced, since many sound hardware devices and their drivers (alsa and
62 others) manage that in hardware. For those without hardware stream
63 merging available, ALSA (and presumably OSS and others as well) provides
64 its own solution, so kdemm doesn't need to do so.
65
66 What's /really/ interesting about the kdemm infrastructure, however, is
67 just what it implies about adaptability to other platforms. Keep in mind
68 that Trolltech has made a GPLed Qt4 library available for MSWormOS for the
69 first time, and aspects of the KDE community are targeting an MSWormOS
70 port of KDE-4 as well. Because of the plugin architecture, kdemm will be
71 compilable with few if any changes for MSWormOS, only needing a driver
72 plugin very parallel to the one it uses for ALSA, to interface directly
73 with the MSWormOS native sound system as well! Imagine, just as one can
74 run OOo or Firefox on MSWormOS or Linux or OSX or whatever, so KDE, with
75 version 4, is intended to be cross-platform. Get folks used to the KDE
76 environment on MSWormOS, and a year or two later, it'll be much easier to
77 switch out the implementing platform from underneath it, and have them
78 running freedomware Linux, rather than proprietaryware, the opposite of
79 freedomware, MSWormOS!
80
81 Anyway, the bad news is that issues with ARTS aren't uncommon, and they'll
82 continue if not get worse for another year or so, as ARTS continues to get
83 the bare minimum of maintenance. The good news is, with the release of
84 KDE4, anticipated sometime in the latter half of 2006, so a year to a year
85 and a half out, we won't have to worry about ARTS headaches any longer!
90 and if you use the program, he is your master." Richard Stallman in
91 http://www.linuxdevcenter.com/pub/a/linux/2004/12/22/rms_interview.html
95 gentoo-amd64@g.o mailing list