From: Duncan <1i5t5.duncan@×××.net>
To: gentoo-amd64@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-amd64] Re: how to find reverse dependencies?
Date: Sat, 27 Jun 2009 04:52:55
1 Joseph Booker <joe@××××××××××.net> posted 20090626213734.631e8110@fenrir,
2 excerpted below, on Fri, 26 Jun 2009 21:37:34 -0500:
3
4 > On Fri, 26 Jun 2009 19:24:00 -0700 (PDT) Steve Herber <herber@×××××.com>
5 > wrote:
6 >
7 >> I removed a package recently and portage keeps wanting to put it back
8 >> into the system. How can I find out why portage wants to reinstall it?
9
10 > Use 'emerge -avDu world --tree'
11 >
12 > In general, 'qdepends -Q foo' will return packages that depend on foo if
13 > you have portage-utils
14
15 Tree is one way, tho it can be somewhat hard to read, particularly with
16 world, due simply to the number of packages world spits out.
17
18 I don't know anything about portage-utils, but if you have gentoolkit,
19 equery depends <pkg> works for what depends /on/ a package, equery
20 depgraph <pkg> works for what a package depends on. equery is a handy
21 little tool. It's worthwhile learning it. =:^) (Read the manpage.)
26 and if you use the program, he is your master." Richard Stallman