From: Florian Philipp <lists@××××××××××××××××××.net>
To: gentoo-amd64@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-amd64] boottime
Date: Thu, 13 Nov 2008 10:43:29
1 Matthias Bethke schrieb:
2 > Hi Volker,
3 > on Wed, Nov 12, 2008 at 09:53:02PM +0100, you wrote:
4 >> with 'don't use genkernel' I meant 'don't use an initrd' - because it adds a
5 >> lot of time to the boot. And with everything essential in the kernel it is a
6 >> useless waste of time. But even if you don't use genkernel to create an initrd
7 >> - there is no reason to use it at all.
8 >
9 > Well, there are. I was just about to add one to my system to use
10 > tuxonice with encrypted swap. AFAICS there's no way to have both at the
11 > moment without an initrd. Although I don't really see why it *should*
12 > be, cryptsetup being the only thing that needs to run before I can
13 > resume; I think it should be possible to hack some in-kernel cryptsetup
14 > using kdb's keyboard handling, just that nobody has done it yet :)
15 >
16 > cheers,
17 > Matthias
18
19 When your initrd doesn't have much to do, it won't take much time.
20 Genkernel's (great) init-script is quit huge. If you don't need all of
21 its functionality (module loading, net boot, ...) you can delete these
22 parts.
23 You could also use something other than a bourne-shell script - a small
24 C program or a script in a faster shell/script language.