From: Harm Geerts <harmgeerts@××××.nl>
To: gentoo-amd64@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-amd64] Re: Re: libungif and giflib conflict.
Date: Wed, 02 Nov 2005 13:12:07
1 On Wednesday 02 November 2005 05:30, Nick Currier wrote:
2 > Looks like that got it guys. Thanks tons for the help.... It seems I broke
3 > portage by running only part ~amd64 packages. revdep-rebuild found it but
4 > it took twice to fix..... depclean wants to get rid of tons of stuff though
5 > so I'm thinking this is a bad idea or I have bigger problems.... Kudos to
6 > AMD64 Gentoo for the best support team in open source.
7
8 It's normal for a system that hasn't been maintained the way it should ;)
9 1. Look over the list of packages that would be unmerged with:
10 # emerge --pretend depclean
11 2. Inject the packages that should not be removed in your world file with:
12 # emerge --noreplace <package name>
13
14 Repeats steps 1 and 2 untill you are satisfied.
15 3. clean the remaining packages with:
16 # emerge --ask depclean
17 4. rebuild packages that were built against older/removed libaries:
18 # revdep-rebuild --pretend (part of app-portage/gentoolkit)
19
20 In order to keep your system clean in the future upgrade world like this:
21 1. upgrade your world, remerge packages that have a changed USE flag and
22 upgrade deep dependencies.
23 # emerge --ask --deep --newuse --upgrade world
24 2. rebuild packages that were built against older/removed libaries
25 # revdep-rebuild --pretend
26
27 If you ever remove a package do it like this:
28 1. remove the package
29 # emerge --ask --unmerge package
30 2. remove the dependencies but always check the output. other packages might
31 use them even though they are not a direct dependency
32 # emerge --ask depclean
33 3. rebuild packages that were build against libaries you just removed
34 # revdep-rebuild --pretend
35
36 This is how I maintain all my systems.
37 If anyone has remarks/tips I'd be glad to hear them.
38 --
39 gentoo-amd64@g.o mailing list