From: Eric Bliss <eric@×××××××××××.net>
To: gentoo-amd64@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-amd64] [OT- html posts]
Date: Sat, 10 Dec 2005 01:58:57
1 On Friday 09 December 2005 04:17 pm, Bob Young wrote:
2 > Thank you, that's exactly the point, the major objection is on a *mailing
3 > list*, the content is much more well defined, each and every message is
4 > thousands of times less likely to be spam or malware, than any randomly
5 > selected non-list email.
8 Yes, but that doesn't change the fact that people have their mail systems set
9 to kill ANY HTML mail that they receive. And again, I ask - once you realize
10 that many people are being aggressive in what they block (I for instance,
11 never allow my e-mail client to run dynamic content or graphics - or even
12 render HTML until I tell it to.), what are you going to be using HTML for???
13 Fonts??? Text Alignment??? It's just not worth the trouble. It doesn't
14 serve any useful purpose to send HTML that won't be rendered to people who
15 are likely to delete your e-mail just because it has HTML.
16
17 > Okay, let's use your numbers, that's an additional 2K * 1000 people, so an
18 > additional 2 megabytes for each message that crosses the list. Let's say the
19 > list receives 100 messages in a 24 hour period, in round numbers that's an
20 > extra 200MB to send out over a 24 hour period, sounds like a lot doesn't it?
21 > But compared to the bandwidth capacity the server actually has available
22 > over that 24 hour period, it's probably a low single digit percentage...if
23 > that.
26 Except for three things...
27 1000 users is quite likely low-balling the figure on almost any mailing list.
28 For instance, I think I've got over 100 different people who've posted to
29 this list in my e-mail box - and that doesn't even include the silent lurkers
30 who are getting copies mailed to them, but that aren't actively posting.
31
32 You are also likely to have multiple e-mail lists on a single server. How
33 many different lists are there for gentoo? I'm subscribed to at least six,
34 and they all appear to be coming from the same server. Look at the number of
35 posts to gentoo-user - that's a lot more traffic that this list gets - and
36 probably a lot more people subscribed as well.
37
38 Lastly - most email clients that send HTML mail actually send TWO copies of
39 the mail - one plain text, and one formatted. The fact that the plain text
40 comes first, and can be selected as your primary viewing option is the only
41 reason I don't bitch about this topic more often. But, the effect is to more
42 than double the size of every message that gets sent by HTML - 100% of the
43 plain text, and another 120% for the HTML (more or less depending on how much
44 formatting you use).
45
46 Okay, I lied, there's one more point. It doesn't apply to me, but there are
47 plenty of people who it does apply to - not everybody who subscribes to these
48 lists has a broadband internet connection. And depending on how many of
49 these lists they subscribe to, and how active they are, the "double size" of
50 HTML posts can become a serious problem for their individual connections.
51
52 > >Don't argue about why your way is better when it's in clear
53 > >opposition to the people who make up the community, simply accept that they
54 > >have reasons for doing things the way they do, and abide by those rules
55 > when
56 > >you're in their home.
57 >
58 > This is disappointing. Just blowing off all opposing arguments any, and
59 > saying it must be done this way, "because we say so" regardless of the
60 > facts, or validity of opposing argument, is something I'd expect from a
61 > Microsoft mindset.
64 No, as I said earlier, and as Duncan just mentioned from Eric Raymond's
65 article, it's a matter of respect for the people that you're asking to help
66 you. We're not telling you how to do it no matter where you go (which is the
67 Microsoft way), we're only asking you to do this when you talk to us. And,
68 as this is the clear majority opinion of the people who are actually
69 providing the support, it falls under the realm of common courtesy (or
70 not-so-common, these days) to respect their wishes, since you are the one
71 asking for help. There may be nothing wrong with HTML e-mail in other
72 contexts, but as you were saying, the issue here is HTML on this list.
73 Following the rules of the community isn't something that's limited to
74 e-mail. "We reserve the right to refuse service to anyone" is a statement
75 seen on just about any business you visit. When you're asking for service,
76 there are rules you should follow depending on what you're asking for. On
77 FLOSS lists, one of these rules is "Don't use HTML".
80 > >So, exactly what would you refer to the Sober Worm attack on Nov. 23 as???
81 > 3
82 > >weeks ago is pretty damned recent.
83 >
84 > Two points, first I'd bet that the attack didn't start with a message to an
85 > email list, much less a Linux oriented list. Second, the number of Linux
86 > users affected by the Worm was probably zero, so that doesn't seem like a
87 > very solid reason for prohibiting html on a Linux oriented list
90 Well, according to the headers on your own e-mail, you're using Microsoft
91 Outlook to send your mail. So you of all people shouldn't assume that just
92 because someone is on a Linux list means that they're invulnerable to
93 Microsoft security issues. Some people may administer Linux servers while
94 using Windows desktops. Yes, many people on a Linux list are going to be
95 using a Linux desktop, but it's not guaranteed. There is no rule that says
96 that people can't operate on more than one platform. Indeed as I'm writing
97 this on my gentoo laptop, I'm sitting next to a Windows box on my left, and a
98 Mac on my right. I work on a website, so there are times when I need to look
99 at how pages are rendering. I do this in Firefox, PC Internet Explorer, Mac
100 Internet Explorer, Safari, Epiphany, and Konqueror. And I should probably do
101 it in a few others as well.
102
103 And, while the attack may not have originated on a Linux list, the nature of
104 the worm means that it will try to send to a Linux list. As with most all
105 the Sober varients, the worm self-propagates by looking through your address
106 book and mailboxes, and sending itself to all the addresses that it harvests.
107 So, all it takes is one person having this list address in a Windows box
108 (like you're running for instance) to potenially have the worm hitting the
109 list servers. Whether or not the worm will make it past the server depends
110 on the list admins - but it's almost guaranteed that the worm has tried to
111 mail itself to Linux lists at some point. And if it's a Linux list server,
112 then there's one Linux admin who had to deal with the worm.
113
114 > > And as for "objective analysis"... How
115 > >many spam filter rules are there that boil down to "It's got HTML/it's got
116 > >loads of HTML in it - it's probably spam". I'd call that a fairly
117 > objective
118 > >viewpoint.
119 >
120 > It may be objective, that doesn't make it accurate or desirable. Just
121 > throwing out all html messages as spam is simplistic and lazy, obviously not
122 > all html messages are spam.
125 No, but you were claiming that these opinions aren't based on any objective
126 analysis - but as those spam filter rules demonstrate, there is sufficient
127 basis to believe that an HTML message is MORE LIKELY to be spam. No, it
128 doesn't automatically mean that it is spam, but it's a good indicator of
129 POTENTIAL trouble.
130
131 > >> Do you allow html
132 > >> to be rendered when you browse the web? If so, why is email more
133 > >> dangerous when your email client can easily be configured to
134 > >> render html just as safely as your browser?
137 > >How's about because we can CHOOSE where we go when we browse the web, and
138 > we
139 > >can change the settings that we use if we go to sites we don't trust. But,
140 > >if you have to work at all with the public at large, you have to accept
141 > >e-mail from people who's intentions are a complete mystery to you, because
142 > >you can't know until you read it if it's a legitimate e-mail. Yes, you can
143 > >filter out some things that are very obviously spam, but you can't stop
144 > >everything.
145 >
146 > The issue here is accepting html from a mailing list, the sender of each and
147 > every message is traceable, at least to a valid email address. Yet your
148 > argument seems to be that accepting html email from someone who can be
149 > traced and held accountable, is somehow more dangerous than accessing a web
150 > page written by someone you know nothing about and may have no way of
151 > contacting.
154 No, my point here is that list e-mail is not the only kind of e-mail that
155 people who use these filters get. I have to deal with all kinds of end-users
156 on a multitude of platforms. And if I were having to rely on my Windows box
157 to do my mail, there is no way in ANY Underworld that I would want my e-mail
158 client to trust every message sent to me. Even on Linux, I still block out
159 all parts of the message except for the raw text until I know what I want to
160 do about it. Many people on this list won't even give it that much latitude
161 - they'll send it straight to the trash, since they don't HAVE to read any
162 message on the list. I actually have to at least look at any message that's
163 sent to me (other than the exceedingly obvious spam), otherwise I might do
164 the exact same thing.
165
166 > It's okay if you want to hold the opinion that "HTML e-mail is a BAD THING"
167 > just because you have some emotional fondness for plain text. Such fondness
168 > may be because it's "from the good ole days" and that's fine, but at some
169 > point we all must let go of the past and embrace change, otherwise we
170 > stagnate.
173 My emotional fondness for plain text isn't that "it's from the good ole days",
174 it's that "no plain text message ever made my computer crash/get infected".
175 Maybe I'm just picky that way. :-)
176
177 > >Sorry for this rant, it's just that I happen to strongly agree with the
178 > >community here that HTML e-mail is a BAD THING - especially to FLOSS lists.
179 >
180 > It's good to agree with someone, but it's more important to be sure of the
181 > reasons *why* you agree with them.
184 Well, there are a number of reasons why I feel the way I do, as you can see.
185 Some don't really apply at the moment (I'm not likely to get infected with
186 any ActiveX crap while I'm using KMail), but that doesn't mean they won't
187 apply to me at other times.
188
189 Nothing personal here, just trying to better explain WHY some of us are so
190 opposed to HTML in e-mail.
193 Eric Bliss
194 systems design and integration,
195 CreativeCow.Net