From: Etaoin Shrdlu <shrdlu@×××××××××××××.org>
To: gentoo-amd64@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-amd64] Going to multilib
Date: Sun, 06 Dec 2009 16:00:40
1 [sorry, I sent this in error to gentoo-user]
2
3 Ok, so I have some apps that require 32 bit libraries, but I'm currently using
4 a no-multilib profile.
5
6 This page
7
8 http://www.gentoo.org/doc/en/gentoo-amd64-faq.xml
9
10 says:
11
12 "Warning: Currently you cannot switch from a no-multilib to a multilib-enabled
13 profile, so think over your decision twice before you use the no-multilib
14 profile."
15
16 Now, I know that I can install most of the emul-linux-x86-* stuff and that
17 will probably be enough for me, but I was wondering what the technical
18 problems iwould be if I just changed my /etc/make.profile to point to a
19 multilib profile. As far as I can tell, gcc and glibc would be rebuilt with
20 USE=multilib, and a new set of libraries would be installed into /lib32 and
21 /usr/lib32 (in addition to those already installed under the corresponding
22 lib64 locations). So, how would that break the existing applications?
23
24 Thanks for any insight.