From: Mark Knecht <markknecht@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-amd64@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-amd64] profile updates
Date: Tue, 02 Dec 2008 00:30:56
1 Hi,
2 I was looking at the upgrade guide here
3
4 http://www.gentoo.org/doc/en/gentoo-upgrading.xml
5
6 to investigate upgrading my profile. My AMD64 currently runs the
7 2007.0/desktop profile and I still have some low-grade locale problems
8 with this machine that to date I've been unable to solve.
9
10 Questions:
11
12 1) Can I safely do an eselect profile set to one of the 2008.0
13 profiles and then an emerge -pvDuN world to get an idea how much gets
14 rebuilt, but still be able to switch it back to the current profile?
15 (I.e. - just look at the tasks?)
16
17 2) What is the no-multilib profile. Is that no support for 32-bit. I
18 presume that builds libraries and support stuff faster over time? Does
19 it change applications much?
20
21 3) What other questions should I be asking? (Like, since it's almost
22 2009, when is 2009.0 coming and maybe I should wait?) ;-)
23
24 As always....
25
26 Thanks!