From: Duncan <1i5t5.duncan@×××.net>
To: gentoo-amd64@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-amd64] Re: Re: Moving to no-multilib profile
Date: Thu, 20 Apr 2006 17:29:52
1 Mike Arthur posted <200604201612.50223.mike@×××××××××××××.uk>, excerpted
2 below, on Thu, 20 Apr 2006 16:12:50 +0100:
3
4 > I won't be turning off IA32 emulation, still need 32-bit
5 > packages, just rather manage them myself in the chroot.
6
7 OK. /That's/ what you meant in the part of the OP I didn't quite follow!
8 <g>
9
10 > Is there any ETA/plans for a multi-arch portage working, i.e. merging
11 > 32-bit and 64-bit non-bin packages with portage.
12
13 It has been on the list for some time, but no ETA that I'm aware of yet.
14
15 FWIW, portage-2.1 is on the way (regularly updated pre's in ~arch for some
16 time now, talk of an rc on the way), with the new features that have been
17 getting all the work (better security/signing, a portage API level that an
18 ebuild can set to tell portage that it needs to be at least that level to
19 properly handle the ebuild, better cache and metadata management, cleaner
20 and more modular code, and confcache, to name some of them).
21
22 In particular the portage API level thing will allow faster portage
23 development without having to wait nearly a year to be sure everyone has
24 upgraded from their old and incompatible versions before the old code can
25 be safely removed from the tree and portage. The goal is to then speed up
26 portage development, with faster releases every few months. One of those
27 releases will probably introduce multi-arch tracking. However,
28 successfully implementing it has some serious complexities (I didn't
29 appreciate how complex proper dependency resolution can be until I joined
30 the portage-dev list and started reading -- I have some /serious/ respect
31 for the code hackers that dare to tread that way, now, and that's just
32 for a /single/ arch/abi!), and it's not going to be an easy job. I expect
33 we're still looking at 8 months to a year out, before it'd be anywhere
34 close to stable. That assumes a portage hacker gets seriously interested
35 in the problem, as well. If not, it could be longer, tho it'll likely
36 happen eventually.
37
38 OTOH, as time progresses, the need for it will become less urgent, as more
39 and more stuff will be available for the now default 64-bit platform. At
40 this point, that's already the case for most open source stuff, with a few
41 exceptions such as Open Office. With MS now onboard the 64-bit bandwagon,
42 even if they /are/ a year or so behind, in a couple years most of the
43 slaveryware closed source stuff like games and codecs will be available in
44 64-bit as well. Thus, ironically, we'll probably be finally getting
45 multi-arch package manager support, just as it's no longer really needed.
50 and if you use the program, he is your master." Richard Stallman in
51 http://www.linuxdevcenter.com/pub/a/linux/2004/12/22/rms_interview.html
55 gentoo-amd64@g.o mailing list