From: Matt Randolph <mattr@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-amd64@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-amd64] Upgrading to Raid
Date: Fri, 02 Sep 2005 13:24:03
1 That's valuable information indeed. Since migrating from Windows to
2 Gentoo I have had to abandon an old PATA RAID 5 card because its Linux
3 drivers haven't been maintained in years. I had thought about going the
4 3Ware route, so I'm glad to hear about your experiences with their
5 cards. I guess I have some more homework to do. Thanks for the heads-up!
6
7 Joshua Hoblitt wrote:
8
9 >I have a large number (more then a dozen) 3Ware 8500 and 9500 cards.
10 >The majority of these are 12-port SATA cards with RAID 5 volumes on
11 >them.
12 >
13 >Three quick observations:
14 >
15 >* Software RAID 5 on Linux WILL NOT remap bad blocks/sectors like a
16 >hardware RAID controller. If you care about your data, software RAID
17 >simply isn't an option.
18 >
19 >* The RAID 5 performance of 3Ware controllers is terrible. The 9500
20 >series cards can push 50-55MB/s with xfs and in the neighborhood of
21 >45MB/s with ext3 (with an enlarged journal, etc.) for sequential writes,
22 >random I/O is even worse. The 8500 cards are about 10% slower compared
23 >to the 9500 once you fill up the on-card cache.
24 >
25 >* Neither xfs or ext3 are reliable on volumes greater then 2TB. Nor can
26 >fdisk even partition them (but lvm2 can handle them).
27 >
28 >Cheers,
29 >
30 >-J