From: Thierry de Coulon <tcoulon@××××××××.ch>
To: gentoo-amd64@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-amd64] VMware Player on Gentoo question
Date: Wed, 08 Mar 2006 06:26:43
On Wednesday 08 March 2006 02.06, Mark Knecht wrote:
> Hi all, > I've never used VMware but someone suggested I try their VMware > Player app. Looking around I ran across info on the workstation > version here: > > http://gentoo-wiki.com/HOWTO_setup_VMware > > but nothing yet on the Player app. Is anyone using the Player? Does > any of this work on the 64-bit platform or do I need to run all of > this chroot'ed?
Yes, I've used the vmware-player. If I remember well, the player is masked (amd64 keyword), but not vmware-workstation. It did work , but apparently shared folders are deactivated in the player at the time. So I ended up upgrading vmware-workstation and that's what I am using now.
> Since VMware is a retail app I assume all the WIKI is showing is > how to get the workstation set up and that I'd have to have a license > to actually use it? Or is this not the case? I didn't spot any > comments about entering license numbers, etc., and never having used > VMware I wouldn't really know what to look for anyway.
No, you don't need to pay to use vmware.player. The catch is that the player has some limitations, the most important being that you can't create a virtual machine - so you have to create it on another machine running workstation, or download one somewhere. I also noticed that I got regular errors when starting the player, but could start it in the end, while the problem did not occur with workstation. The bottom line (I think) is that if you rellly need en emulator like vmware, you should think about getting workstation. If it's more a matter of trying, you won't break much with player. Note that player is easily removed the day you want to emerge workstatiion.
> Thanks in advance, > Mark
Have a nice day Thierry -- The problem with the world is stupidity. Not saying there should be a capital punishment for stupidity, but why don't we just take the safety labels off of everything and let the problem solve itself? Frank Zappa -- gentoo-amd64@g.o mailing list