From: Christopher E <sensory.access@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-amd64@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-amd64] Advice Wanted! Setup Instuctions ...
Date: Fri, 19 May 2006 16:37:00
1 Hello All,
2
3 I am going to redo my system from start to finish again. When I do
4 this I want to from the get go use amd64 ebuilds if they are in the
5 portage or masked as ~amd64:
6 Modula X 7.0 lastest ~amd64 ebuild
7 Gnome lastest ~amd64 ebuild
8 KDE lastest ~amd64 ebuild
9 glibc lastest ~amd64 ebuild
10 gcc lastest ~amd64 ebuild
11 portage lastest ~amd64 ebuild
12
13 As a reminder of what is in my system:
14 ATI All-in-Wonder 9800pro (I think r350 chipset)
15 CDROM / DVDROM / CD-RW (all as one)
16 Motherboard ASUS K8V Deluxe with AMD64 +3000
17 1 gb of memory
18 2 SATA drives (WD 120gb)
19 1 IDE drive (6gb)
20 1 Floppy
21
22 OK now with my questions:
23
24 I would like to know if you would change any of the steps I am using
25 to get this system up and runing in the fastest time and easest way to
26 do so with out having to do things more then once to say to update
27 things again instead have the most updated versions of things for the
28 start. Also I would like to use the system with out the use of
29 genkernel orless there is a good reason to use it. Once I have this
30 thing in a good order and use able on my system I will be doing the
31 same on another system that is the same setup but the video card is
32 older and only has one harddrive.
33
34 I have ? marks near things that I am not sure of more then other
35 things. How can I use a uptodate portage from the start and gcc and
36 glibc I don't have to re-emerge them later?
37 What other things should I do before the reboot that I don't have in
38 my list? Is there things that I have in the list that I should do
39 after the booting that I have befroe booting? Are there other things
40 I should do to get the most out of my video card? if so should they
41 be done before booting the system or after bootiing and should I make
42 sure to do things in my kernel when building it and what are the steps
43 to doing this that have been sucessful for people that have K8V deluxe
44 boards. I am still looking at the files people have sent me and I
45 thank them for doing so.
46
47 My goal of this system is to use it as a websever that would be for a
48 project that I am doing fo a non-profit and also to allow other
49 non-profits to have sites on here also. I would like to have a email
50 system also that would be access though IMAP and POP. Also be able to
51 share a caludars. The may project that will be on this system is a
52 search enign that is for a spersific groupe of stuff. as time goes
53 people will have accounts and be able to send email to each other
54 internaly only. I believe that is etihe about what the system will
55 need to do, oo and it needs to be useable by me to do things I need to
56 do as its my only system right now and that I hope will change in the
57 next 6 or so months.
58
59 So if you can help me make this setup list below more full to be able
60 to do the above I would greatly be thankful as I don't want to have to
61 do this again for a while. :-) I will be doing the webserver with
62 apache, php, mysql, phpmyadmin, and don't know what else would be good
63 to do the above any and all recommendations are greatfully thankful
64 for also.
65
66 ********** start of steps to install and setup the system ***********
67
68 1. Boot in to liveCD
69 2. /sbin/ifconfig
70 3. ping -c 3 www.yahoo.com
71 4. net-setup eth0
72 5. mkreiserfs /dev/sda6
73 6. mkswap /dev/sda5
74 7. swapon /dev/sda5
75 8. Mount /dev/sda6 /mnt/gentoo
76 9. mkdir /mnt/gentoo/boot
77 10. Mount /dev/sda1 /mnt/gentoo/boot
78 11. Mount /dev/sdb1 /mnt/gentoo/Windows-Drive
79 15. Date / Change if needed
80 17. cd /mnt/gentoo
81 18. links www.gtlib.gatech.edu/pub/gentoo/releases/amd64/current/stages/
82 19. tar xvjpf stage3-amd64-2006.0.tar.bz2
83 20. links www.gtlib.gatech.edu/pub/gentoo/snapshots/portage-latest.tar.bz2
84 21. tar xvjf /mnt/gentoo/portage-latest.tar.bz2 -C /mnt/gentoo/usr
85 22. nano -w /mnt/gentoo/etc/make.conf
86 Add: -march=k8
87 Add: MAKEOPTS="-j2"
88 Add: USE="gtk gnome qt kde dvd alsa cdr opengl radeon -sis -rage128
89 -matrox -3dfx -gamma -i8x0 "
90 Add: VIDEO_CARDS="fglrx radeon"
91 Add: ACCEPT_KEYWORDS="~amd64"
92 23. mirrorselect -i -o >> /mnt/gentoo/etc/make.conf
93 24. mirrorselect -i -r -o >> /mnt/gentoo/etc/make.conf
94 25. cp -L /etc/resolv.conf /mnt/gentoo/etc/resolv.conf
95 26. Mount -t proc none /mnt/gentoo/proc
96 27. Mount -o bind /dev /mnt/gentoo/dev
97 28. chroot /mnt/gentoo /bin/bash
98 29. env-update
99 30. source /etc/profile
100 31. export PS1="(chroot) $PS1"
101 32. emerge --sync
102 33. ls -FGg /etc/make.profile
103 35. mkdir -p /etc/portage
104 36. echo "sys-libs/glibc userlocales" >> /etc/portage/package.use
105 37. nano -w /etc/locales.build
106 Keep: en_US/ISO-8859-1
107 Keep: en_US.UTF-8/UTF-8
108 Del: All others
109 38. cp /usr/share/zoneinfo/EST5EDT /etc/localtime
110 39. USE="-doc symlink" emerge gentoo-sources
111 40. ls -l /usr/src/linux
112 Should Look like: lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 12 Oct 13 11:04
113 /usr/src/linux -> linux-2.6.12-gentoo-r10
114 ?41. emerge genkernel
115 ?42. genkernel menuconfig all
116 43. emerge coldplug
117 44. rc-update add coldplug boot
118 45. emerge hotplug
119 46. rc-update add hotplug boot
120 47. cp /boot/fstab /etc/fstab
121 48. nano -w /etc/conf.d/hostname
122 Put: Mr-Eyes
123 49. nano -w /etc/conf.d/domainname
124 Put: domain.tld
125 51. rc-update add net.eth0 default
126 52. cd /etc/init.d
127 53. ln -s net.eth0 net.eth1
128 54. rc-update add net.eth1 default
129 55. nano -w /etc/hosts
130 Mod: 127.0.0.1 localhost
131 Mod: 192.168.1.1 Mr-Eyes.domain.tld Mr-Eyes
132 56. passwd
133 Add: Password Now ...
134 Add: Password again ...
135 ?57. echo "tts/0" >> /etc/securetty
136 58. nano -w /etc/rc.conf
137 Mod: displaymanger to gdm or kdm
138 UnBlk: xsesion and put either gnome or kde
139 59. nano -w /etc/conf.d/clock
140 Mod: clock utc to local
141 60. emerge syslog-ng
142 61. rc-update add syslog-ng default
143 62. emerge vixie-cron
144 63. rc-update add vixie-cron default
145 64. emerge slocate
146 65. emerge xfsprogs
147 66. emerge reiserfsprogs
148 67. emerge dhcpcd
149 68. emerge gpm
150 69. rc-update add gpm boot
151 ?70. emerge dbus
152 ?71. rc-update add dbus boot
153 ?72. emerge hal
154 ?73. rc-update add hald boot
155 ?74. emerge alsa-utils
156 ?75. rc-update add alsasound boot
157 76. alsaconf
158 78. exit
159 79. cd
160 80. umount /mnt/gentoo/boot /mnt/gentoo/dev /mnt/gentoo/proc
161 /mnt/gentoo/Windows-Drive /mnt/gentoo
162 81. reboot
163 82. emerge gentoolkit
164 83. emerge --sync
165 84. emerge --update --deep world