From: Bob Sanders <rsanders@×××××××××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-amd64@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-amd64] Re: Re: NVidia - advice!
Date: Thu, 12 Jan 2006 15:44:32
1 Duncan, mused, then expounded:
2 > Bob Sanders posted <20060111210610.GC228605@××××××××.com>, excerpted
3 > below, on Wed, 11 Jan 2006 13:06:10 -0800:
4 >
5 > > And, for some, being able to drive a digital flat panel at more than
6 > > 1280x1024, requires the higher end cards. The VIA Unichrome won't do
7 > > that. Neither would the ATI 9250 (well, before mine overheated and died -
8 > > 30 min of gaming killed it).
9 >
10 > Don't know about flat-panel, tho I don't know why it wouldn't work, but I
11 > was running my Radeon 9250 SE dual-output at 2048x3072 -- that's two
12 > 2048x1536 resolution, 21" monitors, stacked on top of each other.
15 It would work in analog mode. But it won't work in digital mode. Gfx
16 cards can fudge some things in analog mode with a fast ramdac and plo, but
17 can't do the same in digital mode. Check the card specs for any Gfx card,
18 you'll see that analog mode can support up to the full internal frame buffer,
19 but the digital output is restricted.
20
21 And if you've got a flat panel why run it in analog mode? Waste of money, simply
22 get a cheap crt monitor and run analog. Personally, I prefer the crispness
23 of text on a good flatpanel in digial mode, without all the refresh rate hassles
24 and fuzziness of crts.
25
26 Bob
27 -