From: Mark Knecht <markknecht@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-amd64@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-amd64] Re: SOLVED: gcc 4.1 upgrade - bad desktop interactivity anyone?
Date: Sat, 23 Sep 2006 17:42:26
1 On 9/23/06, Peter Humphrey <prh@××××××××××.uk> wrote:
2 > On Saturday 23 September 2006 10:03, Mark Knecht wrote:
3 >
4 > > So you did essentially the
5 > >
6 > > emerge -e system
7 > > emerge -e system
8 > > emerge -e world
9 > >
10 > > steps that you did when upgrading gcc to get there?
11 >
12 > Er, the GCC upgrade guide [1] only mentions a single emerge -e system to go
13 > from 3.4.4 to 4.1.1, and that's what I'm doing just now. I hope I don't
14 > need the second step.
15 >
16 > 1. http://www.gentoo.org/doc/en/gcc-upgrading.xml
17 >
18 > --
19 > Rgds
20 > Peter
21
22 Peter,
23 I take it back. I was thinking of something else. Here is the set
24 of instructions I asked about on this list and was told were correct:
25
26 # emerge -uav gcc
27 # gcc-config i686-pc-linux-gnu-4.1.1
28 # source /etc/profile
29 # fix_libtool_files.sh 3.4.6
30 # emerge --oneshot -av libtool
31 # emerge -eav system
32 # emerge -eav world
33
34 I actually asked whether the emerge -eav world was necessary or
35 whether the system was usable after the emerge system was complete.
36 Boyd said that some folks had had problems so I did the emerge -eav
37 world and didn't use the system until it was complete.
38
39 NOTE: emerge --resume --skipfirst was my friend as a number of
40 packages didn't build the first time. I picked them up later.
41
42 Sorry for the confusion. I shouldn't work from memory! ;-)
43
44 Cheers,
45 Mark
46