From: Barry Schwartz <chemoelectric@×××××××××××××.org>
To: gentoo-amd64@l.g.o
Subject: Re: Outside of portage (was Re: [gentoo-amd64] Kernel-3.3.0 and Nvidia-drivers)
Date: Fri, 23 Mar 2012 03:03:52
1 Mark Knecht <markknecht@×××××.com> skribis:
2 > I do use package.mask when I want or need to delay something getting
3 > onto one of my machines that I just don't want to deal with until
4 > others have proved it works. (Think about the new udev coming out...)
5
6 I moved most my system other than /home out of LVM and into one big
7 partition in anticipation of that. No way do I want to use
8 initramfs. That’s a very good udev to think about before
9 unmasking. (I’ve had to use rescue CDs due to udev upgrades.)
10
11 Linux seems to be heading towards a SunOS-like situation where the
12 distinction between / and /usr is weak. It’s probably way too late to