From: Barry Schwartz <chemoelectric@×××××××××××××.org>
To: gentoo-amd64@l.g.o
Subject: Re: Outside of portage (was Re: [gentoo-amd64] Kernel-3.3.0 and Nvidia-drivers)
Date: Fri, 23 Mar 2012 03:03:52
Mark Knecht <markknecht@×××××.com> skribis:
> I do use package.mask when I want or need to delay something getting > onto one of my machines that I just don't want to deal with until > others have proved it works. (Think about the new udev coming out...)
I moved most my system other than /home out of LVM and into one big partition in anticipation of that. No way do I want to use initramfs. That’s a very good udev to think about before unmasking. (I’ve had to use rescue CDs due to udev upgrades.) Linux seems to be heading towards a SunOS-like situation where the distinction between / and /usr is weak. It’s probably way too late to go back to having /usr as what we now call /home :)