From: Duncan <1i5t5.duncan@×××.net>
To: gentoo-amd64@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-amd64] Re: First Impressions
Date: Thu, 28 Sep 2006 20:12:59
1 Barry.SCHWARTZ@×××××××××××××.org posted
2 20060928191638.GA5413@××××××××××××.org, excerpted below, on Thu, 28 Sep
3 2006 14:16:38 -0500:
4
5 > "Boyd Stephen Smith Jr." <bss03@××××××××××.net> skribis:
6 >> It's wrong-headed to deride or discourage users for using the features
7 >> of their compiler when those functions are not erroneous. Instead, you
8 >> should be leaning on the developers to fix the erroneous code.
9 >
10 > This looks like a false dichotomy to me.
11 >
12 > IMO people ought to use -O2 unless they are using a different setting for
13 > some specific purpose, including but not limited to ‘having fun’.
14
15 Well stated. One could compare -O2 to stable. Fancier CFLAGS then are
16 the logical parallel of running ~arch or even masked packages. If you
17 have a good reason to do so, including fun, and have the knowledge, time,
18 and interest to fix the occasional problems when they do occur, there's
19 nothing wrong with it, but those that just want something that works with
20 the least hassle are better off with stable, and vanilla CFLAGS such as
21 -march=k8 -pipe -O2 (only).
22
23 Happily, I'm in the group that likes the fun and has the
24 time/interest/developing-knowledge to run the fun stuff, and Gentoo makes
25 it easy, as it exposes all that power to my itchy little tweaking fingers!
26 =8^)
31 and if you use the program, he is your master." Richard Stallman
34 gentoo-amd64@g.o mailing list