From: Beso <givemesugarr@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-amd64@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-amd64] Re: Disable fsck on boot, was: How to make watchdog start earlier during bootup?
Date: Thu, 22 Jan 2009 19:03:58
1 2009/1/22 Duncan <1i5t5.duncan@×××.net>:
2 > Richard Freeman <rich0@g.o> posted 49789D9C.7040001@g.o,
3 > excerpted below, on Thu, 22 Jan 2009 11:23:56 -0500:
4 >
5 >> All of this assumes that luks contains no bugs. If the encryption layer
6 >> botches your data all bets are off. That happened to me with lvm - I
7 >> managed to hose half my system that way (an fsck on one logical volume
8 >> managed to hose all the other logical volumes in the same volume group).
9 >> It is a rare problem, but I'm now just running on bare md devices
10 >> (and just running on md gives me some options for expanding storage
11 >> later).
12 >
13 > Hmm, interesting. I run my main system and a backup image of same direct
14 > on partitioned mdp/RAID (RAID doesn't cure the fat-finger or botched
15 > upgrade problem, that's what the backup image is for), so I have all my
16 > applications available without lvm, but I use lvm2 on top of RAID for
17 > most of my data partitions and their backups. I've never had a problem
18 > with that using reiserfs on lvm2 on RAID-6 here, nor have I heard of
19 > anyone else having that sort of problems with lvm, at least not since the
20 > lvm2 era.
21 >
22 > The problems I've had with LVM are simply its inconvenience and
23 > administration complexity when there are layers on layers, since there's
24 > no way to put / on it without using an initramfs/initrd, which I didn't
25 > want to use. The partitioned RAID is nice in that regard since the
26 > kernel can handle that directly. If I were to redo it today, I'd
27 > consider eliminating the LVM2 layer for the data for that reason alone.
28 >
29 well, i think that the lvm2 layer is still good even when used on a
30 single disk. especially when
31 you don't know how the partitions would look like. i've had big time
32 saves by resizing lvm2
33 array than copying, removing partitions, recreating them and then
34 recopying files into
35 the newer ones.
36 as for the / i'm considering using / + /boot on a usb disk (nowadays
37 booting from usb devices is
38 no pain) and would prevent me from exposing ciphered luks data. it's
39 true that loosing the key would
40 mean a total disaster, but it's simpler to have 2-3 2gb usb keys
41 (which mean about 20-30€) as root
42 and have an entire luks+raided partition. if you'd were to go even
43 further putting another external usb
44 key as authentication key for the encrypted partion would be even more secure.
47 dott. ing. beso