From: Volker Armin Hemmann <volkerarmin@××××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-amd64@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-amd64] Re: Memory usage; 32 bit vs 64 bit.
Date: Tue, 04 Jan 2011 08:02:53
swap kills interactivity and is really, really bad on linux. No matter how
much you stripe it. Swap is a true horror. So setting swappiness to 100 (which
means: keep caches alive, no matter what and swap the hell out of it) is a
really bad idea. In my experience it is better to have a very low swappiness
and let the kernel get the occasional data from disk, than to swap to the same
disks. Strange eh?

But better to wait 1.5s longer for konqueror to display a directory than to
have a jerky mouse and input lag because of swap. Remember: the kernel ALWAYS
swaps out the wrong stuff.
I have swappiness at 60 - and back in the 4GB days at 0. Because swap sucks so
much.

You are not required to believe that. But just google.