From: Richard Freeman <rich0@×××××××.net>
To: gentoo-amd64@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-amd64] 64-bit or 32-bit?
Date: Tue, 12 Jul 2005 16:52:32
On Tue, July 12, 2005 7:27 am, Anand Buddhdev said:
> The main issues seem to be > with firefox 32-bit plugins, and win32 codecs for use with mplayer.
I might also point out java, which nobody else has pointed out thus far. Simple applets and apps work fine with either blackdown or sun-jre/jdk. However, more complex apps can tend to break in 64-bit land due to bugs in the VMs. I've found some that work with blackdown only and some which run with sun-1.5 only (which is a beta that breaks all kinds of other stuff). I've gotten so frustrated with 1.5 issues that right now I don't have java installed at all 64-bit. I just run it in a 32-bit chroot. If you are just running simple stuff I wouldn't worry about it, but if you want to run anything complex I'd consider using a chroot... -- gentoo-amd64@g.o mailing list