From: Duncan <1i5t5.duncan@×××.net>
To: gentoo-amd64@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-amd64] Re: Multiple X with multiple Keyboards
Date: Wed, 07 Dec 2005 21:18:52
1 Christian Aistleitner posted <op.s05vkdm3u6j4vy@×××××××××××××××××××.info>,
2 excerpted below, on Fri, 02 Dec 2005 15:51:39 +0100:
3
4 > thank you Duncan, Steve, and Tres for your answers. Sadly enough none of
5 > your hints can be used to realize what I was looking for (except the link
7 > http://cambuca.ldhs.cetuc.puc-rio.br/multiuser/ on which I already tried
8 > aut before -- but in vain.
9 > ).
10 >
11 > Nevertheless, I'll keep on trying :)
12
13 As it happens, I JUST stumbled across something covering /exactly/ what
14 you are wanting to do! It's with the 6.9/7.0 xorg, so you'll have to be
15 running at least the betas for that, but it looks fairly simple to
16 configure, after that. Simply setup layouts (and the usual subordinate
17 sections as necessary, note that compatible video cards is a must) for
18 each station's config in xorg.conf, then test each layout using the
19 described procedure, and then either start each server manually (using the
20 command string given) as needed, or setup your display manager as
21 described.
22
23 The blog entry doesn't mention setting up the device sections. I'm not
24 sure if that's an oversight, or if, given "compatible" video cards, that's
25 no longer necessary. It's possible you'll need to set that up separately
26 for each layout, as well.
27
28 Here's the link to the short rootprompt.org blurb, where I originally
29 discovered it (I have their rss feed running in knewsticker). It in turn
30 links to the mini-howto in "Chris Tyler's Blog".
31
32 http://rootprompt.org/article.php3?article=9446
33
34 He says try back in about February, if this is still too complex (or you
35 don't want to go bleeding edge xorg), and there may be an easier way with
36 the full release. Still, this looks fairly simple, for those already used
37 to messing with their xorg.conf, anyway.
42 and if you use the program, he is your master." Richard Stallman in
43 http://www.linuxdevcenter.com/pub/a/linux/2004/12/22/rms_interview.html
47 gentoo-amd64@g.o mailing list