From: Karol Krizka <kkrizka@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-amd64@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-amd64] disable agpgart support in kernel
Date: Mon, 13 Mar 2006 03:47:32
1 On Sunday 12 March 2006 19:23, Hemmann, Volker Armin wrote:
2 > On Monday 13 March 2006 02:36, Karol Krizka wrote:
3 > > Hello,
4 > > I am trying to disable toe agpgart support in the kernel so I can use the
5 > > one that commes with the binary nvidia drivers. The only problem I have
6 > > is that I can't seem to do it. I located the option under Device Drivers
7 > > -> Characters Devices but there is no checkbx button beside "/dev/agpgart
8 > > (AGP Support)" and it is not disabled because when I grepped though the
9 > > .config I found: CONFIG_AGP=y
10 > > CONFIG_AGP_AMD64=y
11 > > # CONFIG_AGP_INTEL is not set
12 > >
13 > > Is there something I need to do before I am able to disable it? This is
14 > > suspend2-sources-2.6.15-r8 if that matters.
15 >
16 > there is no good reason for using the nvidia driver's agpgart driver. So
17 > why so you want to remove the kernel support?
18 Reason is suspend2. I have managed to get it working from console (suspend and
19 resume) so now I am trying with X enabled. I have found references on several
20 sites that it is possible if I disable the agpgart support in kernel (or make
21 it a module and not load it). Here is some sources:
22 http://wiki.suspend2.net/DistroAndHardwareSetup/Nvidia
23 http://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic-p-1995227.html#1995227
24
25 > Oh, and if I remember correctly, the AGP part and the iommu are the same,
26 > so you can not have one without the other - maybe that is your problem?
27 That did it. I found it in Processor Type and Features -> IOMMU support and
28 disabled it. That also disabled agpgart. Thank you for your help.
29 --
30 Karol Krizka