From: Duncan <1i5t5.duncan@×××.net>
To: gentoo-amd64@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-amd64] Re: Root on Raid and LVM - Solved
Date: Mon, 31 Oct 2005 09:03:46
1 Edward Middleton posted <4365CBC8.2080502@××××××××××××.jp>, excerpted
2 below, on Mon, 31 Oct 2005 16:46:16 +0900:
3
4 >>Only one issue now, and that is that upon shutdown, Gentoo cannot stop
5 >>/dev/md5 because it is in use.
6 >>Is there a fix for this? Perhaps in the order of the shutdown?
7 >
8 > hi Chris,
9 >
10 > Did you work out how to fix this. I am having exactly the same
11 > problem. I understand why it is happening (the root partition is still
12 > in use), but presumably there is some way of getting around this.
13
14 Well, normally the root partition /will/ still be in use, so can't be
15 unmounted. However, it's then mounted read-only, instead, forcing out all
16 cached writes to bring the fs into a consistent state and then allowing no
17 more writes to it after it's mounted read-only. Thus, the system can
18 still shut down even with it mounted.
19
20 The thing is, that's expected for your root partition, so it's normally
21 included in the init scripts to mount it read-only instead of unmounting
22 it, and for that one, it normally doesn't cause a warning, whereas for
23 others, it would (and should, in the general case, anyway).
24
25 The problem here is that for some reason the system apparently isn't
26 recognizing that partition as root, so it's still warning when it can't be
27 unmounted. As mentioned, it could be an order thing, or it could be that
28 particular raid or lvm config isn't setup correctly in the initscripts, so
29 it's not recognizing them as devices containing filesystems, at all.
30
31 In a few days, I'll have mine setup and be playing around with it, so may
32 or may not be able to confirm the issue then, but I expect to be able to
33 trace it if I do have it. (Note that I'm running ~amd64 and the
34 1.12.0-rc's of baselayout. I don't expect I'd be reverting to stable, if
35 the issue's happening there.)
40 and if you use the program, he is your master." Richard Stallman in
41 http://www.linuxdevcenter.com/pub/a/linux/2004/12/22/rms_interview.html
45 gentoo-amd64@g.o mailing list