From: Duncan <1i5t5.duncan@×××.net>
To: gentoo-amd64@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-amd64] gcc4 CFLAGS Was: gcc 4.1 upgrade - bad desktop interactivity anyone?
Date: Fri, 15 Sep 2006 16:49:39
1 Richard Freeman <rich@××××××××××××××.net> posted
2 4509E998.7020503@××××××××××××××.net, excerpted below, on Thu, 14 Sep 2006
3 19:45:28 -0400:
4
5 > Duncan wrote: [snip]
6 >
7 > Hmm - no -ftree-vectorize? Care to comment on that? I hear that it can
8 > be buggy with a few packages, but I'm guessing it is worth having in
9 > there in general.
10
11 The gcc manpage is a bit sparse (understatement) on vectorize, but the next
12 entry has a bit more info.
13
14 <quote, reformatted for posting>
15
16 -ftree-vectorize
17 Perform loop vectorization on trees.
18
19 -ftree-vect-loop-version
20 Perform loop versioning when doing loop vectorization on trees. When a
21 loop appears to be vector-izable except that data alignment or data
22 dependence cannot be determined at compile time then vectorized and
23 non-vectorized versions of the loop are generated along with runtime
24 checks for alignment or dependence to control which version is
25 executed. This option is enabled by default except at level -Os where
26 it is disabled.
27
28 </quote>
29
30 I'm unclear as to what "vectorization" means as used here. My
31 understanding of "vector" is as a synonym for "line", thus implying loop
32 unrolling of some form or another, which will increase size. As I
33 explained in the grandparent, I believe such optimizations to be
34 counterproductive on modern processors due to the extreme cost of cache
35 misses as opposed to slight cycle inefficiencies.
36
37 I am however aware that vectorization has a somewhat different meaning in
38 programming terms than the above, but am not sufficiently educated on the
39 topic to make an informed choice, so I've simply left gcc to go with its
40 default choice given my overall stated intention of -Os.
41
42 If you can sufficiently explain the concept to me such that I
43 understand enough about it to feel comfortable going with other than the
44 default (which means I can explain why I chose it and why it won't
45 interfere with my overall strategy as outlined in the grandparent, or is
46 worth it even if it does), I'd be very grateful! =8^)
47
48 BTW, I'm also looking for a good reference on LDFLAGS. I'm using one ATM
49 (LDFLAGS="-Wl,-z,now", which I naturally can explain if asked but will
50 skip for the moment), but have seen mention of a couple others that look
51 interesting, but haven't come across anything detailed enough on them to
52 justify further divergence from the default at this time. man gcc just
53 doesn't do it, in this case. =8^(
58 and if you use the program, he is your master." Richard Stallman
61 gentoo-amd64@g.o mailing list