From: Jonathan Callen <jcallen@g.o>
To: gentoo-amd64@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-amd64] Re: simulating apt-get on gentoo
Date: Fri, 06 May 2016 01:18:41
1 On 05/02/2016 07:00 PM, Daiajo Tibdixious wrote:
2 > Sorry to come back to this.
3 > I have a working ebuild, in the sense that I can install/remove using
4 > emerge, however the NXT client crashes a few second after starting
5 > with no error message.
6 > I don't expect you to help with the crash.
7 >
8 > The links you gave for Packages & the .deb file are still working but
9 > the Release one is not.
10 > I've tried
11 > wget http://content.runescape.com/a=946/downloads/ubuntu/trusty/Release
12 > wget https://content.runescape.com/a=946/downloads/ubuntu/trusty/Release
13 > wget https://content.runescape.com/downloads/ubuntu/trusty/non-free/Release
14 > All give 404 not found.
15 >
16 > I'm after a way to tell if they have bumped the version number,
17 > because its not on their download page.
21 As the instructions they gave changed, the method to get the initial
22 "Release" file also changed. The new file is at:
23
24 <https://content.runescape.com/downloads/ubuntu/dists/trusty/Release>
25
26 This then points to a Packages file at:
27
28 <https://content.runescape.com/downloads/ubuntu/dists/trusty/non-free/binary-amd64/Packages>
29
30 This in turn points to the new location of the (hopefully) same .deb
31 archive, at:
32
33 <https://content.runescape.com/downloads/ubuntu/pool/non-free/r/runescape-launcher/runescape-launcher_2.2.2_amd64.deb>
34
35 To construct these URLs, I took the line given for the configuration of
36 apt, which is:
37
38 deb https://content.runescape.com/downloads/ubuntu/ trusty non-free
39
40 Starting with the URL given
41 (<https://content.runescape.com/downloads/ubuntu/>), add
42 <dists/{dist}/Release> (in this case <dists/trusty/Release>) to get the
43 Release file. The Release file points to Packages files located in
44 subdirectories of the directory containing Release; the appropriate file
45 would be under <{component}/binary-{arch}> (so <non-free/binary-amd64>).
46 Each Packages file then lists the metadata for each version of each
47 package that is currently available as part of that dist/component/arch,
48 all of which reside under <pool/{component}> under the main URL. The
49 actual directory structure is always
50 <pool/{component}/{first-letter-of-src-pkg}/{src-pkg}/{binary-pkg}_{version}_{arch}.deb>,
51 unless {src-pkg} begins with the letters "lib", in which case it uses a
52 subdirectory named after the first four characters in {src-pkg} instead.
53
54 For a more complete view of how the repository is structured, you may
55 want to browse http://ftp.debian.org/debian/ or
56 http://archive.ubuntu.org/ubuntu/, which are the roots of Debian and
57 Ubuntu's repositories, respectively. Note that in some cases, the
58 Packages files are only available compressed (as Packages.gz or
59 Packages.bz2).
62 Jonathan Callen