From: Petter Haggholm <petter@×××××××××××.ca>
To: gentoo-amd64@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-amd64] Re: Weird and unpredictable problem: emerge grinds system to a halt
Date: Thu, 28 Sep 2006 09:11:49
1 Duncan wrote:
2 > Daniel Iliev <danny@××××××××.com> posted 451B6C1E.8020503@××××××××.com,
3 > excerpted below, on Thu, 28 Sep 2006 09:30:54 +0300:
6 >> Petter Haggholm wrote:
7 >>
8 >>> The subject is fairly descriptive. Often -- but not always -- an
9 >>> emerge will render my system unusable. At a PORTAGE_NICENESS of 3, and
10 >>> fairly standard MAKEOPTS of "-j2" (on a single-core system), I'm ...
11 >>> well, rather surprised, confused, and very frustrated. [] The system
12 >>> becomes unresponsive, the mouse will move but with enough of a lag that
13 >>> physically moving it may not cause a cursor movement for the next 30
14 >>> seconds or so, clicking a taskbar window may not have an effect at all;
15 >>> sometimes I can't even ssh into the system from my other computer (to
16 >>> kill the emerge) because it's slow enough that the ssh daemon times out
17 >>> my login attempt. This never used to happen[.]
18 >>>
19 >>>
20 >> 2) What happens if you put PORTAGE_NICENESS=19, MAKEOPTS of "-j2 -l1" ?
21 >> l5 (small "L", not the number "one"), means "loadavg=<1" If loadavg goes
22 >> up to 1 make waits this level to drop before continuing its job
23 >> 3) Is DMA enabled for your HDD(s)? (hdparm -d1 /dev/xxx)?
26 > I second those two suggestions.
27 >
28 > It never used to happen? I'll just /bet/ you somehow disabled hard drive
29 > DMA access. In addition to checking hdparm, ensure that you have the
30 > correct drivers for your hard drive chipset being compiled with the kernel
31 > and verify from your log (or dmesg) that they are loaded and active -- the
32 > kernel isn't loading generic drivers that grab the hardware first so the
33 > chipset specific drivers can't grab the hardware themselves.
34 >
35 > It's almost certainly I/O access in any case, so portage niceness probably
36 > won't do a lot of good, tho reducing to -j1 or -j2 -l1 or -j1 -l1 might
37 > help some. You can also try different I/O and task schedulers, and tweak
38 > your kernel preemption settings.
39 >
40 > [snip the stuff about systems with lots of RAM; mine doesn't]
41 I figured I'd give your suggestion a shot. I certainly never *disabled*
42 hdparm, and I haven't altered my kernel options for IDE drivers in ...
43 well, heaven knows how long. However, upon checking my menuconfig, I
44 find that I unnecessarily have generic IDE chipset support in addition
45 to the appropriate driver; I just disabled that, recompiled the kernel,
46 and rebooted (for the first time in 19 days, which made the pre-reboot
47 dmesg output a little intractable).
48
49 I/O schedulers ... well, I've already played around with those, as well
50 as playing with the kernel pre-emption and timer settings, and no
51 permutation helped before, so I left that as it was.
52
53 So far, it looks promising -- I just built a package that caused me
54 problems earlier, followed by an `emerge -DuN world` (only four
55 packages, though); no problems yet. Unfortunately, the problem has
56 appeared nondeterministic, so I don't yet know whether it'll magically
57 reappear to terrorise me later. Hopefully, the IDE driver thing fixed
58 it; if not, I'll be back to complain more when the problem reappears.
59 Thank you for the help, and wish me luck ...
62 Petter Häggholm
63 --
64 gentoo-amd64@g.o mailing list