From: Duncan <1i5t5.duncan@×××.net>
To: gentoo-amd64@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-amd64] Re: emerge --emptytree problem
Date: Mon, 11 Jul 2005 10:07:43
Mark posted <1f81f7e0050710155471f76f63@××××××××××.com>, excerpted below,
on Sun, 10 Jul 2005 18:54:37 -0400:

> Well, I *think* I have it figured out. After setting up the logging, I > fired up the build again, and when it finally failed, there was a message > "you need perl 5" during the openssl package install. So I tried emerging > perl by itself, and it fails because the java ebuild was not in the > portage directory. So I changed java in my USE= list to -java, and > restarted the build. So far, it's going well. My question I guess is, did > I come up with the right solution, or will having -java in my USE= list > cause me problems later on?
As Jared says, nothing in the system or normal non-system core packages require Java (save for OOo, which might, I know the 2.x versions do, if you call that "core" for your use). USE=-java /does/ speed up gcc compile time in particular, and as long as you don't have any specific packages in your personal "must-have" list that are Java based, it should be fine. For this reason, it's likely many/most devs and list regulars have USE=-java, so system building with +java is likely far less tested than with -java. It's quite possible there's some circular dependency issue involving the java USE flag, that simply hasn't been discovered yet, for that reason. Once you get your USE=-java emerge --emptytree completed, if desired, you can probably reactivate USE=java and do an emerge --newuse, with no further issues. If indeed that's the case, and you feel like pursuing the issue far enough to file a decent bug report on whatever circular dependency was killing the emerge --emptytree, with USE=java, it's quite likely the devs involved would be appreciative, as those circular dependency issues can be tough to track down, as well as challenging to resolve, but doing so results in a much more dependable Gentoo. -- Duncan - List replies preferred. No HTML msgs. "Every nonfree program has a lord, a master -- and if you use the program, he is your master." Richard Stallman in http://www.linuxdevcenter.com/pub/a/linux/2004/12/22/rms_interview.html -- gentoo-amd64@g.o mailing list