From: Daiajo Tibdixious <daiajo@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-amd64@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-amd64] Re: no sound in firefox java
Date: Sun, 19 Jun 2011 14:02:50
On 6/19/11, Duncan <1i5t5.duncan@×××.net> wrote:
> Daiajo Tibdixious posted on Sun, 19 Jun 2011 13:48:23 +1000 as excerpted: > >> I installed pulseaudio, added the pulseaudio use flag, and rebuild with >> --newuse. >> I went thru <http://pulseaudio.org/wiki/PerfectSetup> logged out & in >> from kde, >> and got no sound at all. >> Rebooted and still no sound, in any application. >> >> If I mplayer -ao pulse, it opens the sound okay, but no sound is audible >> if I mplayer -ao alsa it can't find the library, I think thats because >> of the rebuild with pulseaudio use flag. >> There is no /dev/dsp device (which is the oss compatibility device). > > I believe Barry and I disagree on pulse. It's yet another layer between > the apps and the hardware that can break, and I don't need it, so from my > perspective I'm better off without it.
> I've no idea if pulse is similar, tho it would make sense, given you > don't want something blaring unexpectedly so mute-by-default is a very > good policy, but if it is, have you checked that it's not simply muted?
Yeah, checking mute/volume is part of the debugging process. At the moment I only have 1 master volume, not the whole rack of volumes in AlSA's mixer, but its not muted nor too low to hear. I think my problem is that my sound card is not defined to pulse, can't find out what to do about it. pulse did seem like a solution to my initial problem. Anyway, I'm hoping solving this problem will help me with my original problem (sound in all but firefox java applet).