From: Daiajo Tibdixious <daiajo@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-amd64@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-amd64] Re: no sound in firefox java
Date: Sun, 19 Jun 2011 14:02:50
1 On 6/19/11, Duncan <1i5t5.duncan@×××.net> wrote:
2 > Daiajo Tibdixious posted on Sun, 19 Jun 2011 13:48:23 +1000 as excerpted:
3 >
4 >> I installed pulseaudio, added the pulseaudio use flag, and rebuild with
5 >> --newuse.
6 >> I went thru <http://pulseaudio.org/wiki/PerfectSetup> logged out & in
7 >> from kde,
8 >> and got no sound at all.
9 >> Rebooted and still no sound, in any application.
10 >>
11 >> If I mplayer -ao pulse, it opens the sound okay, but no sound is audible
12 >> if I mplayer -ao alsa it can't find the library, I think thats because
13 >> of the rebuild with pulseaudio use flag.
14 >> There is no /dev/dsp device (which is the oss compatibility device).
15 >
16 > I believe Barry and I disagree on pulse. It's yet another layer between
17 > the apps and the hardware that can break, and I don't need it, so from my
18 > perspective I'm better off without it.
19
20 > I've no idea if pulse is similar, tho it would make sense, given you
21 > don't want something blaring unexpectedly so mute-by-default is a very
22 > good policy, but if it is, have you checked that it's not simply muted?
23
24 Yeah, checking mute/volume is part of the debugging process.
25 At the moment I only have 1 master volume, not the whole rack of
26 volumes in AlSA's mixer, but its not muted nor too low to hear.
27 I think my problem is that my sound card is not defined to pulse,
28 can't find out what to do about it.
29
30 pulse did seem like a solution to my initial problem.
31 Anyway, I'm hoping solving this problem will help me with my original problem
32 (sound in all but firefox java applet).