From: Terry Smith <microsmith@××××××××.net>
To: gentoo-amd64@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-amd64] kernel configuration options
Date: Thu, 02 Dec 2004 00:19:07
1 Bruce wrote:
2 > Hi,
3 >
4 > I'm about to manually configure a kernel when I install Gentoo on my
5 > AMD64 machine. Would like a few tips on what kernel options I should
6 > use.
7 >
8 > I've got an Athlon64 3000+, a VIA k8t800 chipset, onboard realtek ac 97
9 > audio, radeon 9600 pro AGP card (I know I know), VIA SATA RAID
10 > controller, PROMISE SATA RAID controller, CD-RW, CD-ROM, FDD, VIA
11 > firewire controller, USB2.0 ports, PS/2 mouse & keyboard, old 36k
12 > dial-up modem (temp modem for linux), Realtek TRL8169/8110 Gigabit
13 > Ethernet NIC.
14 >
15 > Any suggestions?
16 >
17 > Bruce
18
19 Hi Bruce,
20
21 I have basically the same system...on a MSI K8T NEO FS12R mobo, except
22 I'm using a NVIDIA Geforce 2 card. I am running 3 PATA drives, 2 off the
23 onboard IDE controller and one off a PCI Promise 20269 controller. I am
24 not using the onboard SATA or RAID controllers. I had an issue with the
25 Promise controller (which was running my / partition) and had to build
26 that into the kernel but that won't get in the way on your system.
27
28 You want the module r8169 for the ethernet interface. I got quite stuck
29 on my first kernel build in not being able to access the network and
30 install packages. Someone on the list suggested that my IEEE1394
31 interface might be getting assigned to 'eth0'. Sure enough, the kernel
32 had used eth0 for firewire and I stupidly configured it be my main
33 internet connection while I had the wire stuck in the 'real' network
34 interface (assigned 'eth1').
35
36 Now I've built Realtek 8169 support into the kernel (so I don't need to
37 load the module) and it now gets assigned first, aka, 'etho'. So watch
38 out for that one.
39
40 I've got sound going. The appropriate alsa driver is 'snd-via82xx' (but
41 I built that in also on the second go).
42
43 I've read of some config issues with SATA drives but since I don't have
44 any I'm a happy camper.
45
46 Can't think of any other issues. Good luck.
47
48 Terry Smith
51 gentoo-amd64@g.o mailing list