From: Mark Haney <mhaney@××××××××××××.org>
To: gentoo-amd64@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-amd64] Re: cupsd wont start on boot.
Date: Sun, 06 Aug 2006 22:26:34
1 Neil Stone wrote:
3 > Hash: SHA1
4 >
5 > Paul de Vrieze wrote:
6 >> On Saturday 05 August 2006 07:50, Duncan wrote:
7 >>> If it's the exact same line both places, one works, the other doesn't,
8 >>> it's almost certainly due to the difference in environment. The
9 >>> environment passed to the one started from initscript will be rather more
10 >>> limited than a fully interactive bash prompt environment.
11 >>>
12 >>> I'd suggest you put a debug statement in the initscript, right before the
13 >>> command executes, that prints the environment to one file and the exported
14 >>> environment to another. Diff those against the same output from the
15 >>> command line that works right, and you'll have a good start on tracking
16 >>> down the culprit, since you'll have all the differences nicely listed, in
17 >>> ordered to check.
18 >> Additionally many init scripts use start-stop-daemon with the --quiet command
19 >> line option. This suppresses all output from the command used. In this case
20 >> we would like to see this output so remove "--quiet" from the init script.
21 >>
22 >> Paul
25 > what happens if you invoke the init script directly, ie not running the
26 > commands contained within the script...
27 >
28 > /etc/init.d/cupsd start
29 >
30 > for example
33 If I invoke as root, I get nothing, not even a 'Child exited' error.
34 But it doesn't start. I'm going to remove the --quiet option and try it
35 and see how it goes.
39 Me transmitte sursum, caledoni!
40
41 Mark Haney