From: Tamas Karpati <tkarpati@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-amd64@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-amd64] VMWare Workstation install
Date: Thu, 05 Feb 2015 10:07:58
1 Dear Rich, Thanks for the mentioning KVM. If this stands for the Kernel Virtual
2 Machine, I'd expect high performance. Though graphics' speed is not a point,
3 I do need some graphics, got to check it. Clonezilla is another
4 good news for me.
5 However, I wonder how stable (crash free) KVM could be with proprietary,
6 ie. NVidia graphics drivers.
7
8 Dear Zhu, Thank you for the link. I'm going to check this out. Bit
9 afraid, as they
10 seem volatile and little hackish workarounds. I hope one day they the VMWare
11 pkgs get stabilized -contrary to the obvious difficulties. As for
12 speed, few years
13 back I remember WS took little more than 10 % CPU load when the WinXP
14 guest was idle. Do you mean VB would cost more than that?
15
16 Dear Duncan, MS-based guest is a good point, thanks for pointing this out.
17 I expected VM-s are just HW emus, thus OS is indifferent. Nice to know that
18 KVM is one more nonproprietary option.
19
20 Best regards,
21 toma