From: Barry.SCHWARTZ@×××××××××××××.org
To: gentoo-amd64@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-amd64] 64-bit or 32-bit?
Date: Tue, 12 Jul 2005 15:01:31
1 Anand Buddhdev <arb@×××××.org> wrote:
2 > One of the choices I'm facing is whether to install gentoo 64-bit, or
3 > 32-bit. Installing 32-bit on the AMD64 would make life easy, but kind of
4 > defeats the purpose of having a 64-bit processor. Hence my request for
5 > opinions. Should I go 64-bit, or stay in the 32-bit world for now?
6
7 If you need to run DOSEMU, you need to go 32-bit, and it's going to
8 stay that way. (The same is _not_ true for Wine, you can run that in
9 64-bit Gentoo.) Otherwise IMO if you like playing with the OS then go
10 64, otherwise consider going 32. If you don't like playing with the
11 OS, however, then why use Gentoo? :) So that probably means you
12 should go 64.
13
14 I have a 32-bit chroot that is almost as complete as my 64-bit stuff.
15 Effectively this means I can often use a 32-bit program from within
16 the chroot in nearly the same fashion as if I were running it on a
17 separate 32-bit installation. It means more system maintenance work,
18 however.
21 Barry.SCHWARTZ@×××××××××××××.org http://www.chemoelectric.org
22 Esperantistoj rajtas skribi al Barijo.SXVARCO@×××××××××××××.org