From: Nuitari <nuitari@××××××××××××××××.net>
To: gentoo-amd64@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-amd64] Problems after upgrading to 4GB Ram
Date: Sun, 11 Jun 2006 18:15:49
1 >> Thanks for the suggestion. They are 4 matching 1GB sticks from Crucial.
2 >> It's worked perfectly today with any 2 of them - just not when I fit all 4.
3 >>
4 >> It didn't work *at all* when I first put in 4GB, I had to recompile the
5 >> kernel with IOMMU options - now it works, just not under "load".
8 > I ran into a similar issue when it went from 512M -> 1G. Same brand
9 > RAM, speeds, etc. I was slightly overclocking at the time and I ended
10 > up fixing things by going back to spec'd speeds. Make sure you're not
11 > pushing the envelope - no guarantees when you do that and sometimes a
12 > hardware change can keep that from working like it used to.
13 >
14 > Sounds like a motherboard issue of some kind - maybe some kind of timing
15 > setting will fix it. Don't ask me what half of those settings do, though...
16
17 When I went from 2x 512mb to 2x 512 + 2x1gb, my MSI motherboard
18 automatically went to DDR333 speed instead of DDR400, as specified in its
19 manual. Dual-channel is still active.
20 --
21 gentoo-amd64@g.o mailing list