From: "Hemmann
To: gentoo-amd64@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-amd64] 2.6.23-r3 and keyboard freeze
Date: Tue, 11 Dec 2007 19:54:00
1 On Dienstag, 11. Dezember 2007, Mark Haney wrote:
2 > Beso wrote:
3 > > by chance are you using fglrx of the ati-drivers>8.42.2?! it has a memory
4 > > leak bug that makes your pc crash after you've been using opengl stuff
5 > > (firefox, amarok, and other apps usually use it) if your is an opengl
6 > > screensaver then that's probably a cause of this.
7 > > i'm using the latest kernel without these problems, but i'm avoiding
8 > > using opengl screensaver or letting firefox or amarok running when i'm
9 > > not at the pc.
10 > > the second stuff: have you not set the automatic hibernation or the
11 > > automatic standby by chance and don't remember to have done it?
12 >
13 > Hi Beso, actually, I've never setup hibrnate/standby on this laptop. In
14 > fact prior to upgrading to .23-r3 I never had trouble with leaving it
15 > for hours on but with a locked (and blank) screensaver running. Now,
16 > the 2 days I've run it with .23-r3 it's dropped the keyboard on me. I
17 > can move the mouse, but I none of the keys work for me to log back into
18 > the box to shutdown or keep working.
19 >
20 > Until the upgrade to .23-r3 I was running the masked original
21 > 2.6.23-gentoo kernel with no trouble at all. It's weird. I suspect the
22 > kernel, but I've done a bunch of other updates this week as well, so it
23 > could be something else.
26 for a while I suffered 'sudden keyboard death'. I was typing some stuff - and
27 suddenly the keyboard was dead. When I switched to a vt, keyboard worked
28 again (but not in X) and I had to restart X. I haven't seen this since 2.6.22
29 and a lot of X updates. But you might want to try that - use acpid to switch
30 to a vt with the power button:
31 cat /etc/acpi/events/default
32
33 event=.*