From: Duncan <1i5t5.duncan@×××.net>
To: gentoo-amd64@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-amd64] Re: No LibX11 Libtool Archive Installed
Date: Tue, 29 Mar 2011 00:12:21
1 Volker Armin Hemmann posted on Mon, 28 Mar 2011 05:53:18 +0200 as
2 excerpted:
3
4 > On Monday 28 March 2011 00:21:52 Fernando Boaglio wrote:
5 >> I've found a workaround for this issue:
6 >>
7 >> emerge lafilefixer
8 >>
9 >> lafilefixer --justfixit
12 >> []'s Fernando Boaglio
13 >
14 > that is not a workaround but the fix.
15
16 It's a workaround, or at least I'd call it so, tho workaround/fix is
17 quibbling over technicalities, the simple fact is that it works,
18 regardless.
19
20 The "fix", in progress gentoo-wide, is to remove pretty much all the *.la
21 files entirely. But unless all packages are remerged at the same time,
22 that must be done in some particular order or still-installed *.la files
23 will refer to others already removed, thus triggering threads such as this.
24
25 FWIW, I've been using a PKG_INSTALL_MASK="*.la" setting here in my
26 make.conf for some time, now. That keeps portage from installing the
27 files entirely. With a single exception for one such file installed by
28 the libtool package itself, tested for by certain other package config
29 steps, it has been without issue.
30
31 In /etc/portage/env/sys-devel/libtool, I have this exception, so that
32 single package installs its *.la files, but that's it.
33
34 PKG_INSTALL_MASK=
35
36 When I first set the mask, I did an emerge --empty-tree @world, thus
37 removing all *.la files. The only problem I ran into was the missing *la
38 from libtool itself, which remerging it with the above exception worked
39 around, and I've been *.la file problem free since then. =:^)
40
41 Of course, individual users may have other exception packages as well, but
42 the above single exception works with the packages I have merged,
43 including most of kde4.
48 and if you use the program, he is your master." Richard Stallman