From: Sergio Polini <sp_rm_it@×××××.it>
To: gentoo-amd64@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-amd64] cpufreq, cpudyn, and AMD Turion 64
Date: Tue, 07 Mar 2006 07:41:50
1 As to the my HP dv5000 (AMD Turion 64), I configured cpufreq in my
2 kernel:
3
4 Power management options ---->
5 CPU Frequency scaling --->
6 [*] CPU Frequency scaling
7 [ ] Enable CPUfreq debugging
8 <*> CPU frequency translation statistics
9 [ ] CPU frequency translation statistics details
10 Default CPUFreq governor (performance) --->
11 --- 'performance' governor
12 <*> 'powersave' governor
13 <*> 'userspace' governor for userspace frequency scaling
14 < > 'ondemand' cpufreq policy governor
15 <*> 'conservative' cpufreq governor
16 --- CPUFreq processor drivers
17 <*> AMD Opteron/Athlon64 PowerNow!
18 < > Intel Enhanced SpeedStep
19 <*> ACPI Processor P-States driver
20 --- shared options
21 [ ] /proc/acpi/processor/../performance interface (deprecated)
22
23 I chose "conservative" instead of "ondemand" because of the
24 description of the "conservative" governor in make menuconfig:
25 "If you have a desktop machine then you should really be considering
26 the 'ondemand' governor instead, however if you are using a laptop,
27 PDA or even an AMD64 based computer (due to the unacceptable
28 step-by-step latency issues between the minimum and maximum frequency
29 transitions in the CPU) you will probably want to use this governor."
30
31 Then I emerged cpudyn, but whenever i did
32
33 cat /sys/devices/system/cpu/cpu0/cpufreq/scaling_governor
34
35 I got "powersafe".
36 Moreover, I think I ran into those "unacceptable latency issues": now
37 and then my mouse, the download of a web page, or whatever else
38 stopped a few seconds.
39 So I have removed cpudyn from my runlevel and added
40
41 echo conservative
42 > /sys/devices/system/cpu/cpu0/cpufreq/scaling_governor
43
44 I think that my notebook is working better now, but I'm note sure
45 about what I have done ;-) so ask you for your advice.
46
47 Thanks
48 Sergio
49 --