From: Daniel Iliev <danny@××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-amd64@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-amd64] Re: Annoyance
Date: Sat, 30 Sep 2006 23:35:56
1 Bob Young wrote:
2 > Joe Menola wrote:
3 >> On Saturday 30 September 2006 3:38 pm, Bob Young wrote:
4 >>
5 >>> Uhhhh.....if you have some desire to discuss the "original topic" is
6 >>> there something that prevents you from either replying to a message
7 >>> without the OT warning in the subject line, or posting a new message
8 >>> with a subject indicating what you want to talk about?
9 >>>
10 >>
11 >> Uhhh, no there isn't. Nor is there anything preventing someone from
12 >> attaching a reply to your rambling.
13 >>
14 > Are you suggesting there should be something?
15 >
16 > It sounds like your a fan of censorship and prefer rules to always be
17 > strictly enforced with zero tolerance for any deviation.
18 >
19 >> This thread was high-jacked, and now the burden should move to those
20 >> who post according the rules?
21 >>
22 > Actually a more accurate description might be that it was forked, as
23 > the subject line was modified differentiating it from the original,
24 > and there was certainly nothing to prevent anyone from replying to the
25 > original message/thread and carrying on with a discussion of the
26 > original topic.
27 >
28 >> I'm finished contributing to the mess...feel free to break the rules,
29 >> I'll work around it.
30 >>
31 > Sorry, I just honestly don't see the any cause of major inconvenience
32 > or damage (aka "mess") here. I'm sure that there must be examples of
33 > threads that were completely "on topic" but you personally were not
34 > interested in, obviously you dealt with those threads in some fashion.
35 > Why is it so difficult to deal with the occasional OT thread the same
36 > way, especially when it's clearly marked?
37 >
38 > It's not like the list is overrun with OT threads, nor do I see any
39 > indication that the list is likely to be overrun with OT messages in
40 > the future.
44 There is no major problem. It's that I (for example) just lost my
45 interest in the "slaveryware drift" some time ago and now I find it
46 annoying to see "there are 3 new messages in AMD64" and to discover they
47 are "oh..in that thread again". So I mark the thread as read and resume
48 with previous occupation. If I had a simple way to ignore the thread and
49 check it at will, say once a week, it would be perfect.
50
51 Here we can see one of the advantages of the web forums over the mailing
52 lists - in case like this the moderators in a web forum could just
53 change the title of the thread and move it into some "chit-chat"
54 category, dedicated for OTs.
55
56 ;-)
60 gentoo-amd64@g.o mailing list