From: David Klann <dklann@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-amd64@l.g.o
Cc: markknecht@×××××.com
Subject: Re: [gentoo-amd64] Hard drive (installation)
Date: Wed, 28 Aug 2013 20:10:02
1 On Wed, 28 Aug 2013 12:50:48 -0700 you corralled some electrons and wrote:
2
3 > On Wed, Aug 28, 2013 at 12:24 PM, Henry W. Peters <hwpeters@××××××××.com> wrote:
4 > > Hi,
5 > >
6 > > Hope this is a good list for my question/problem (please someone direct me
7 > > to another list, if not).
8 > >
9 > > I purchased a HP Pavillion desktop, AMD64 computer on the premise that I
10 > > could add an additional HD (verified by an HP "technician")... on which I
11 > > plan to install Gentoo... I (finally) got the additional hard drive... but
12 > > now it appears that you CANNOT add an additional internal HD... (no room, no
13 > > slot, unless perhaps one does modifications, then (most likely, there goes
14 > > the warantee?)).
15 > >
16 > > So my question is: will an external HD work (I do audio
17 > > editing/recording/graphics) as a system/work space? & more importantly, will
18 > > Gentoo install on such a HD (external, usb 3))
19 > >
20 > > Thanks much for any advice/help.
21 > >
22 > > Henry
26 > Hi,
27 > If you really need a new drive (i.e. - the one that came with your
28 > machine is just too small, etc.) then I'd look at imaging the drive
29 > that's currently installed, putting in a larger drive, partitioning
30 > this larger drive to hold both Gentoo and what ever M$ OS you might be
31 > using, and then just work to get both OS's working but keep the
32 > current drive on the shelf as a backup. This way you could always go
33 > back to what you have.
34 >
35 > Just an idea.
36 >
37 > Good luck,
38 > Mark
41 To the point of the original poster: I currently use a Lenovo W520 laptop.
42 I have a USB3 external hard drive that I mostly use for backup, but I have
43 occasionally edited some audio (small audio files using Audacity) directly
44 on the external drive. Again, it's not the OS drive, so temp files and such
45 are most likely stored on the internal drive, but I know that Audacity
46 operates in the directory in which the project is located, so it's still
47 doing a fair bit of I/O to that external drive.
48
49 Hope this helps!
50
51 ~David