From: Tres Melton <tres@××××××××××.com>
Subject: [gentoo-amd64] emerge + libraries
Date: Tue, 05 Jul 2005 22:35:09
Yesterday I had a situation that required me to run revdep-rebuild, and
after a number of runs + some manual emerges I got:

thor:/home/tres # rm /root/.revdep-rebuild*.?_* ; revdep-rebuild
rm: cannot remove `/root/.revdep-rebuild*.?_*': No such file or
directory

Checking reverse dependencies...
Packages containing binaries and libraries broken by any package update,
will be recompiled.

Collecting system binaries and libraries... done.
  (/root/.revdep-rebuild.1_files)

Collecting complete LD_LIBRARY_PATH... done.
  (/root/.revdep-rebuild.2_ldpath)

Checking dynamic linking consistency...
  broken /usr/kde/3.3/lib/kde3/kio_http.so (requires libcom_err.so.3)
  broken /usr/kde/3.3/lib/kde3/noatunblurscope.so (requires
libdirectfb-0.9.so.21 libfusion-0.9.so.21 libdirect-0.9.so.21)
 done.
  (/root/.revdep-rebuild.3_rebuild)

Assigning files to ebuilds... done.
  (/root/.revdep-rebuild.4_ebuilds)

Evaluating package order... done.
  (/root/.revdep-rebuild.5_order)

Dynamic linking on your system is consistent... All done.
thor:/home/tres #

The original problem happened when Evolution couldn't find
libcom_err.so.3 because it got nuked somewhere.  I emerged the package
that provides it (sys-libs/com_err) and then ran revdep-rebuild + a
couple of manual emerges (ehtereal + DirectFB) and a re-run of
revdep-rebuild and I got the exact same thing as listed above.
revdep-rebuild is noticing two things with broken linking but doing
nothing to rectify the situation.  I re-emerged kdelibs and then re-ran
revdep-rebuild but got the same messages.

Any ideas on what to try now?

version line from revdep-rebuild:
# $Header: /var/cvsroot/gentoolkit/src/revdep-rebuild/revdep-rebuild,v
1.3 2004/01/07 12:21:21 karltk Exp $

Thanks,
--
Tres