From: Kyle Liddell <kyle@××××××××××××××××.net>
To: gentoo-amd64@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-amd64] Re: 64-bit or 32-bit?
Date: Tue, 12 Jul 2005 17:54:17
On Tue, 2005-07-12 at 08:37 -0700, Duncan wrote:
> Partitioning... If you are like me and use lots of separate partitions (I > have about 20, all told), one thing you'll find is that your /usr/ needs > to be bigger than with other distributions, because that's where the > portage tree and all the sources are kept (unless you put the portage tree > on its own partition or locate it elsewhere than the default > /usr/portage/). Similarly, you may want a larger /var/ or /var/tmp/ than > normal, since by default, that's where portage does all its compiling.
Well, I'm quite the opposite. I have /home, /boot, and /. However, if you do use the lots of partitions method, you might look into using LVM. I've got a junk-hardware-magnet fileserver, and in the process of adding/swapping hard drives, switching to RAID, etc etc, I've discovered it's quite a tiresome process when you want to play with partitions. I just switched the thing over to LVM though, and it is quite impressive. It will save you huge amounts of time if you will be needing to do a lot of partition shuffling. If it is your first time to install gentoo, it will add some complexity, but will help when you realize "oh no, I need another 500mb for /var/tmp/portage"... Kyle Liddell -- gentoo-amd64@g.o mailing list