From: Mark Knecht <markknecht@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-amd64@l.g.o
Subject: Re: Outside of portage (was Re: [gentoo-amd64] Kernel-3.3.0 and Nvidia-drivers)
Date: Fri, 23 Mar 2012 03:03:23
On Thu, Mar 22, 2012 at 2:32 PM, Barry Schwartz
<chemoelectric@×××××××××××××.org> wrote:
> Frank Peters <frank.peters@×××××××.net> skribis: >> Out of habit, I still use the kernel sources from kernel.org. > > This makes me curious what other people are using from outside of > Portage. I install Grub outside of Portage, on the grounds that (a) it > is a bad thing to upgrade unless you have to; and (b) the Grub 2 > ebuilds were broken anyway, and I didn’t want to switch back to Grub 1 > when moving from Exherbo back to Gentoo. So I used the default GNU > install procedure in /usr/local. If the machine boots, the machine > boots, and I’m satisfied. > > (I also use only package.use and not make.conf for use flags, a habit > picked up from using Paludis, and recently got rid of package.mask and > use package.accepted_keywords for all my masking. Lots of redundancy > in Portage these days, maybe a bit too much.) >
In my case nothing outside of portage. I'm not a software developer or IT professional. I just want my system to work. All my systems are amd64 stable with a few ~amd64 packages & libraries, as well as a couple of flags in make.conf but most flags in package.use. I do use a couple of overlays but I don't maintain any local overlays, again not wanting to deal with any of that stuff. I do use package.mask when I want or need to delay something getting onto one of my machines that I just don't want to deal with until others have proved it works. (Think about the new udev coming out...) Cheers, Mark