From: Mark Knecht <markknecht@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-amd64@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-amd64] Re: GCC-4.5.2 Has Serious Problems
Date: Fri, 01 Jul 2011 04:38:21
1 On Thu, Jun 30, 2011 at 6:23 PM, Frank Peters <frank.peters@×××××××.net> wrote:
2 > On Fri, 1 Jul 2011 00:58:46 +0000 (UTC)
3 > Duncan <1i5t5.duncan@×××.net> wrote:
6 >> I had wondered if this might be an "undefined behavior" optimization bug,
9 > Well, the amd64 users list may not be the appropriate place to discuss
10 > C programming, but the problem here stems from attempting to do things
11 > with C that are not supposed to be done with C.  Such things are aptly
12 > called "tricks" because they stray away from the convention.
13 >
14 > Ideally, I suppose, for these purposes would be to use assembly language
15 > routines mixed into the C code.  But this is not as easy as with the
16 > "tricks."
17 >
18 > Anyway, I'm glad I presented this issue.  It has definitely improved
19 > my understanding.  GCC has dozens, if not hundreds, of compile options
20 > and I know the actual function of only a small few.
21 >
22 > Frank Peters
26 I think it's completely appropriate for this list. This distro expects
27 that we put CFLAG options in make.conf so I need to hear about this
28 stuff even if I don't have to background to completely understand
29 what's really causing the problem.
30
31 - Mark