From: Frank Peters <frank.peters@×××××××.net>
To: gentoo-amd64@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-amd64] Emerge and Tmpfs
Date: Tue, 07 Jul 2009 14:36:38
1 After reading through the thread on this list about the benefits
2 of mounting PORTAGE_TMPDIR as tmpfs, I decided that I will be doing
3 this mount from now on. My total RAM is 4G, but since I only "emerge world"
4 about once per week, I can easily set aside temporarily 2G or more for this
5 purpose.
6
7 However, after doing some more reading, I find that some people recommend
8 mounting tmpfs using the option nr_inodes=1M, while others just accept
9 the default value for nr_inodes.
10
11 To me, setting maximum inodes to 1M seems a bit high. Can emerge actually
12 generate that many temporary files? Would it be safer and also avoid swapping
13 to set nr_inodes=1M or is the default good enough?.
14
15 Frank Peters