From: Gavin Seddon <gavin.m.seddon@×××××××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-amd64@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-amd64] initio seen, mt -f doesn't work
Date: Mon, 12 Dec 2005 09:54:26
1 Is there a way of determining the board type, other than opening the box
2 and removing the card. I don't have it's original box.
3 Thanks.
6 On Sun, 2005-12-11 at 07:39 -0600, Brett Johnson wrote:
7 > On Sun, Dec 11, 2005 at 10:32:20AM +0000, Gavin Seddon wrote:
8 > > Hi,
9 > > When I modprobe initio I get the single word 'killed' at which the whole
10 > > system freezes and I have to switch off at the box. Do I need to modify
11 > > the kernel?
12 > > Thanks.
13 > >
14 > What model initio board do you have? There are two
15 > different initio drivers, and the one called "initio" is for the 9100
16 > series chipset. It's possible loading the wrong chipset could lock up
17 > the pc, or at least the console. When the console locks up, I like to go
18 > to a different terminal (pc) and see if I can ping the frozen pc. If so,
19 > then try to ssh in (assuming ssh is running) and see if I can shut it
20 > down remotely.
21 >
22 > All you should need configure in the kernel is:
23 > CONFIG_SCSI: SCSI device support
24 > CONFIG_CHR_DEV_ST: SCSI tape support
25 >
26 > And depending of the controller chipset, either:
27 > CONFIG_SCSI_INITIO: Initio 9100U(W) support
28 > CONFIG_SCSI_INIA100: Initio INI-A100U2W support
29 >
30 > This assumes you don't have an Onstream tape drive of a multi slot tape
31 > drive. If so, there are a few extra drivers needed, but that's not the
32 > issue you are having at this time.
33 >
34 > If the tape drive is external, you can try and shut off the drive before
35 > you boot the PC and then see if you can get the module to load. It's
36 > possible that there is something wrong with the SCSI bus (bad tape drive,
37 > improper termination) that is causing the driver to hang the system. You
38 > should also confirm you have proper termination on the SCSI bus.
39 >
40 > Also, you can refer to: http://www.initio.com/support/download.htm#pc.
41 > It appears the inito driver in the kernel supports most of their boards,
42 > but if you have a really old board (INI-9100/9100W), you may need to
43 > download a seperate driver. There is also a link to flash the bios, but I
44 > would only try that as a last resort.
45 >
46 > Brett
47 --
48 Dr Gavin Seddon
49 School of Pharmacy and Pharmaceutical Sciences
50 University of Manchester
51 Oxford Road, Manchester
52 M13 9PL, U.K.
55 gentoo-amd64@g.o mailing list