From: Brett Johnson <brett@××××.com>
To: gentoo-amd64@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-amd64] some xorg related questions
Date: Thu, 12 Jan 2006 14:20:48
On Thu, Jan 12, 2006 at 08:32:00AM +0000, Neil Stone wrote:
> 1. All of my fonts have gone small.. whats up with that, I know I have > updated a few things, but (afaik) nothing that would cause this to happen
Did you happen to upgrade x-org? Small fonts can be cause by running X in low dpi (75x75) with a high resolution (ie 1600x1200). If you upgraded x-org, and had your xserver configured with a higher dpi (100x100), there's a chance you're server configuration was reset to the default 75x75. If this is the case, you need to determine which method is used to start X and modify the server config file and add -dpi 100 (or what ever value you prefer). You can also check your current dpi setting from a terminal in X with something like: xdpyinfo | grep -A 3 screen You should see something like: default screen number: 0 number of screens: 1 screen #0: dimensions: 1600x1200 pixels (406x305 millimeters) resolution: 100x100 dots per inch depths (7): 24, 1, 4, 8, 15, 16, 32 The resolution line shows the dpi. An good docment (slightly dated) that covers fonts is X is: http://www.faqs.org/docs/Linux-mini/FDU.html Section 2.1 and 2.2 talk about some simple chages that can make a big difference. I also found this document which seems to be current, but I have not had a chance to fully review it yet: http://www.tldp.org/HOWTO/Font-HOWTO/index.html
> > 2. xfs - I can't suss out how to get this installed... and wouw it help > the above situ ?
xfs is no longer built by default, and has been moved to a USE flag. To build xfs you should run the following command to add XFS to your /etc/portage/package.use file and rebuild X: echo "x11-base/xorg-x11 font-server" >> /etc/portage/package.use You should note that Xft is now the preferred method of handling fonts in xorg, and Xfs in considered insecure, so that is why it is disabled by default.