From: Billy Holmes <billy@××××××.net>
To: gentoo-amd64@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-amd64] chrooted environment not available to users
Date: Wed, 14 Dec 2005 15:11:53
1 Mark Knecht wrote:
2 > Billy - I would agree with a default of /mnt/gentoo32 for now, just to
3 > match the manual.
4
5 ok. I'll make the change to the patch and upload it to the bug report.
6
7 > /usr/local/portage/distfiles. I take it from reading the rest of this
8 > thread that this is not required?
9
10 that's correct. Once you have the ebuild in /usr/local/portage, you can
11 just do "ebuild $l32_ebuild digest", and it will automatically download
12 the archive to /usr/portage/distfiles. then do "emerge l32", and it
13 should emerge fine.
14
15 > 3) Ar root in the chrroted environment I am not able to emerge vim
16 > successfully:
17
18 One thing you may have to do is, once you've sync'd your main 64-bit
19 environment, you have to "emerge metadata" on your 32-bit chroot.
20
21 # l32 emerge metadata
22
23 > make: *** empty string invalid as file name. Stop.
24
25 I'm not sure if the above will fix that error. I'd try re-syncing
26 "emerge sync" then "l32 emerge metadata" before anything else.
27
28 > 4) OK, after chrooting into the new environment (l32 /bin/bash) I can
29 > run Firefox, but I'm surprised to see that I have all my bookmarks
30 > from the 64-bit environment. Is this correct?
31
32 Well, if you copied /root to /mnt/gentoo32/root, then yes. They will
33 share the same config files. I would do this:
34
35 # mount -bind /home /mnt/gentoo32/home
36 # mount -bind /root /mnt/gentoo32/root
37 # cp -a /etc/{passwd,group,shadow,gshadow} /mnt/gentoo32/etc
38
39 then your normal users should work under the chroot.
40
41 > 5) Probably most important, I do not have a user account in the
42
43 Look at the steps above.
44
45 > It seems these mount -bind steps have hidden my normal disk partitions....
46
47 No, your disk partitions are still there. Bind just positions them in a
48 different mount point. So, yes, there may appear to be duplicates, but
49 that's just how it looks under "df".
50 --
51 gentoo-amd64@g.o mailing list