From: Billy Holmes <billy@××××××.net>
To: gentoo-amd64@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-amd64] chrooted environment not available to users
Date: Wed, 14 Dec 2005 15:11:53
Mark Knecht wrote:
> Billy - I would agree with a default of /mnt/gentoo32 for now, just to > match the manual.
ok. I'll make the change to the patch and upload it to the bug report.
> /usr/local/portage/distfiles. I take it from reading the rest of this > thread that this is not required?
that's correct. Once you have the ebuild in /usr/local/portage, you can just do "ebuild $l32_ebuild digest", and it will automatically download the archive to /usr/portage/distfiles. then do "emerge l32", and it should emerge fine.
> 3) Ar root in the chrroted environment I am not able to emerge vim > successfully:
One thing you may have to do is, once you've sync'd your main 64-bit environment, you have to "emerge metadata" on your 32-bit chroot. # l32 emerge metadata
> make: *** empty string invalid as file name. Stop.
I'm not sure if the above will fix that error. I'd try re-syncing "emerge sync" then "l32 emerge metadata" before anything else.
> 4) OK, after chrooting into the new environment (l32 /bin/bash) I can > run Firefox, but I'm surprised to see that I have all my bookmarks > from the 64-bit environment. Is this correct?
Well, if you copied /root to /mnt/gentoo32/root, then yes. They will share the same config files. I would do this: # mount -bind /home /mnt/gentoo32/home # mount -bind /root /mnt/gentoo32/root # cp -a /etc/{passwd,group,shadow,gshadow} /mnt/gentoo32/etc then your normal users should work under the chroot.
> 5) Probably most important, I do not have a user account in the
Look at the steps above.