From: Steev Klimaszewski <steev@g.o>
To: gentoo-amd64@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-amd64] Re: How To Play WMV (thread drift - slaveryware)
Date: Sat, 30 Sep 2006 13:23:07
1 Andrei Slavoiu wrote:
2 > --- Bob Young <BYoung@××××××××××.com> wrote:
3 >> That's a very shallow definition of the "essence of
4 >> freedom," from the
5 >> perspective of most end users, your scenario doesn't
6 >> really change anything.
7 >> From the end users perspective s/he is still
8 >> dependent on someone else to
9 >> make the changes. I wouldn't say having a choice of
10 >> who to be dependent upon
11 >> actually qualifies as "freedom."
12 > Nobody needs to depend on anybody for their coding!
13 > Programmers are not a secret society that hold their
14 > ways secret! If you don't find anybody to do it for
15 > you, or if you don't want to pay for that, then you
16 > can buy a copy of "Programming for Dummies" or "Teach
17 > yourself C++ in 10 minutes" (note that if any of this
18 > books really exist, it is a simple coincidence).
19 > So everybody HAS the freedom. If somebody is too lazy
20 > to learn how to use it, it's their own fault.
23 You absolutely do have to depend on someone else for their coding -
24 unless you fork it, or upstream actually accepts your patch. If you
25 fork it then there is a whole new ball of wax, and I am sorry but
26 "Programming for Dummies" and "Teach yourself C++ in 10 minutes" (just
27 to steal your examples) will not teach you the coding skills that you
28 actually need for the opensource world - as they typically are written
29 for.... Windows... yay... but - the only issue I have with Windows being
30 called slaveryware or whatever, is that means that you have absolutely
31 no choice whatsoever in using it - and while that may be the case where
32 some people work (I am lucky in that where I work they are extremely
33 opensource friendly, and I only have 1 machine out of 7 that actually
34 requires Windows be on it - gah, I keep going way off my path... ok,
35 lets try this again...)
36
37 Slaveryware by a very literal term, means you are being forced to use
38 it, and the fact that you have a choice, you CAN use Free/Open Souce
39 software, negates that it actually is slaveryware because no one forces
40 you to use it, it is personal choice. I keep a Windows machine around
41 at home, but in no way do I feel like I have to have it. It is simply
42 there, yes, I can scratch my own itches, and by virtue of becoming a
43 Gentoo dev, I have decided to help others scratch their itches too, but
44 that is what open source is all about. Scratching an itch, and if you
45 don't have the ability to scratch your own, you ARE dependent on others
46 to do the scratching for you, UNTIL you have the ability to do it on
47 your own. Either way, you ARE shifting who you are dependent on for the
48 relief from the itch.
49 --
50 gentoo-amd64@g.o mailing list