From: "Thomas Rösner" <thomas.roesner@××××××××××××××.de>
To: gentoo-amd64@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-amd64] Drivers For USB HDD
Date: Mon, 07 May 2012 12:03:05
1 Hi,
2
3 Am 06.05.2012 20:29, schrieb Frank Peters:
4 > Hello,
5 >
6 > I recently acquired a Seagate USB external HDD but could not get it
7 > to function on my Gentoo Linux.
8
9 Back in the olden days to most common mistake with custom build kernels
10 was not having SCSI disk support compiled in, but now that basically
11 everyone uses SATA that should not be what you're missing. Note that the
12 SCSI disk driver is not the sg driver. sg works for everything attached
13 to SCSI (a scanner, for example) and doesn't have the required
14 functionality. What you also need is sd (which creates the accordingly
15 named /dev/sd? device).
16
17 If it still doesn't work if you'd post your dmesg output so we can check
18 what is missing/unusual.
19
20 With kind regards,
21 Thomas